Hi. My name is Peter, aka Kisdobos on this site. I'm the admin of iSLCollective English. If you can't log in, click on the Login Problem link bbelow the Login window, where you will see two options to help you with login.
REGISTRATION & LOGIN
1. "I can't log in. I don't know why. What should I do?"
2. "How do I log in, with my email address or user name?"
Your user name (the first empty field) and password (the second empty field).
3. "Can I choose a user name consisting of two separate words, e.g. "Dancing
No, user names have to be writte as one word, e.g. "Dancingqueen."
4. "I can't register because I get an error message saying 'User name or email address already taken.' Now what?"
User names and registration email addresses have to unique in our system. If someone has already chosen the user name you want to have, you may choose another one that is similar, e.g. 'ligia1', instead of 'ligia'.
5. "During registration why do I have to prove that I'm human?"
You're referring to CAPTCHA's. In the lack of captchas, malicious software ('robots') created by spammers could register on iSLCollective, and then post spammy Viagra messages in the forum or send them directly to everyone's iSLCollective mailbox. Although, in some rare cases they are able to outsmart the captcha, it works well in most cases to keep out robots.
6. "I type in the CAPTCHA characters, and the site tells me I had mistyped the characters. But I did it right, at least 5 times. Do I not qualify as a human?"
Please try again. If you are still convinced that the CAPTCHA is not working properly, please write to me to support [at] islcollective [dot] com
7. "Can I change my password?"
Yes, go to MyPage/Settings (make sure you're logged in, otherwise you can't access your MyPage) and you will see where to change your password.
8. "Can I change my user name?"
Sorry, user names belonging to an existing account cannot be changed.
ABOUT THE FREE TEACHING RESOURCES HOSTED ON THE SITE
1. "What kind of resources can I find on the site?"
Most of our files are MS Word doc and docx files, and a smaller portion are powerpoint files (ppt and pptx). A relatively new format is Teaching tips, which you can type in and share under the CREATE menu.
2. "What kind of resources can I find on the site?"Why are some of the worksheets docx type? Not everybody can open them."
We support docx files because a lot of people use the new MS Word, where this is the default format. If you use an older version, try installing the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word. You can download it for free here
. This will surely solve your problem. Or go to zamzar.com
where you can convert the docx file into doc format online.
You can download any of teaching resources you find on the site free of charge, manage your uploads
1. "What can I do as a free user?"
& enjoy everything else that used to be free.As for the etiquette of downloading free, i
t's nice to say 'Thank you!'. There are real people behind each worksheet who had worked hours to give you what you need for tomorrow's class. I know you might be in a rush but clicking the "Thank you" button or even better, writing a nice comment, means a great deal to any author, because it tells us we are appreciated.
After 50 consecutive downloads a day, we'll throw up a captcha to stop programs from systematically downloading our complete database (we've had such attempts in the past).
2. "Any download limits?"
3. "Why should I become a Supporting Member?"
We operate the site using the income from Supporting membership fees. This is a great way to say Thank you to our staff and help us continue our mission to provide free language teaching materials this year.
In addition, a Supporting membership has benefits to offer:
If you use the site often, you will find that these and the other 6 extra functions only available to Supporting Members really make a difference when you're in a rush to prepare for the next day.
- you can view worksheets in full screen and you can even flip through all the pages of a document. So you no longer need to download a resource just to see if that's what you need;
- you can print worksheets directly from the site, which means you can get prepared for your class more quickly;
- you can save any worksheet to your favorites, so you will no longer need to download everything, you can just keep your best stuff on the site.
4. "Is it safe to pay on your site?"
Yes, it is as safe as it gets. After you click the Pay Now button, you will be redirected to PayPal's secure site to make the payment.
No, it's enough to have a bank card. You can give your bank card details on PayPal's site.
5. "Do I need to have a Paypal account to purchase a Supporting Membership?"
6. What is the payment process with PayPal?
The PayPal process
You can use this option even if you don’t have a PayPal account, but you want to use your bank card. You need to take three steps:
- You select your Supporting Membership period on the fundraiser page, and click on the Paypal button.
- On the next page you have to choose whether you need a detailed invoice or not (if you check in this box, some new fields will show up and you’ll be asked to provide your personal details so we can make out your invoice). There is another checkbox that says “Please publish my name on the public list of supporting members.” If you check in that box, your name will be listed on the list, and the caption "Supporting member" will be shown above your large size avatar.
- If you click on the “Pay now” button, you will be redirected to PayPal's secure site to make the payment. There you need to log in to your PayPal account, or if you don’t have one, provide your bank card details. Once your amount arrives to the iSLCollective bank account (it’s typically a matter of max half a minute), your iSLCollective account will be automatically upgraded to a Supporting Member account, and you will instantly have access to the extra features.
Sorry, not just yet, but we're working on it.
7. "Can I pay via Western Union or via any other payment gateway?"
No, you won't lose your days left on your Trial. We will add them to your Supporting Membership. So if you have 5 days left on your Trial, and buy a yearly Supporting Membership, you will have 365+5 days.
8. "I'm currently on Trial version, and I decided to subscribe for a Supporting Membership. Will I lose the remaining days from my Trial period?"
Sorry, but we cannot give a refund. To be safe, please try it out with a Free Trial, so you can decide if you like it or not.
9. "Can I get a refund if I don't like the Supporting Membership?"
10. "You said that I can get priority support if I have a technical problem. How can I contact you?"
Please go to your MyPage/Billing-support and write to us using the contact field there. On weekdays, Supporting Members are entitled to priority support, meaning that we will respond within 24 hours of receiving your mail. If you contact us on Friday, we may get back to you on the next Monday.
UPLOAD & EDIT
1. "What can I upload?"
The key rule is: only upload material that YOU CREATED YOURSELF! Do not upload entire pages, images, or any text from other ESL websites or print publications (course books, grammar books, resource books). Also, please read our upload rules carefully to understand all the rules.
2. "What is the upper size limit?"
The largest doc file you can upload is 2 megabytes, the largest ppt can be 25 MB.
3. "What if my file is larger than that?"
If you have a larger file, you could decrease the file size by shrinking the images in the document with a photo editor. The only formats we can currently handle are .doc/docx and ppt/pptx (Microsoft Word and Powerpoint). If you have your file in some other format, you can capture its content by opening the document, then hitting the printscreen button on your keyboard and copypasting the image into an MS Word or Powerpoint document.
4. "I can't upload. Am I doing something wrong?"
If you have problems uploading your worksheets or find any bugs, please write to me (Kisdobos) on the site and we will do our best to fix it as soon as possible.
5. "How can I edit or resend my worksheet?"
Go to your worksheet's own page (make sure you're logged in) and click the "Edit worksheet" button on the resource page on the left of the Download button. Clicking takes you to another page (the Edit page) where you can edit the tags of the worksheet. Make sure to save the changes by clicking on the "Save" button at the bottom of the Edit page. You can also resend an updated version of your file (find it at the bottom of the Edit page: "Resubmit").
6. "Which worksheet becomes the Worksheet of the Day?"
The Worksheet of the Day algorithm: The sytem looks at the uploads of the previous two days, and the most downloaded one becomes Worksheet of the Day.