7 years ago

NEW FEATURES ON THE HORIZON!

We're excited to announce that we've been working hard on a bunch of handy new functions set to be rolled out in early December. We're doing the finishing touches to the system, being in the middle of testing the new system. I think you will love the new features, which include full-screen previews where you can flip through all the pages of a document, either in small or full size. Above is a sneak peak showing the new preview "box" (it's not the final design, we're still polishing the icons and so on).

All the functions will be available for those who subscribe for a Premium account. The good thing is, it will come at a very very low price. Apropos, this winter we will not do a tiresome fundraiser, but instead we're gonna rely exclusively on the revenues from this Premium subscription to cover the operating costs of the site and the company behind it.

Check back for more news, I will post some more about the new features in the coming days.

Bless up,
Peter
7 years ago
Hello ....& thank you, Peter : it sounds great!
Expecting the new features ;-)))
All the best to the ...TEAM! :-)
Sylvie
7 years ago

ONE-CLICK PRINT

I hate printing. I mean I hate the tedious process of printing that starts with finding what I need on iSLCollective and ends with finally holding the stack of printouts in my hands. Let's just think about it. Currently, if you want to print a worksheet from iSLCollective

1. First you have to go to the download page of the worksheet
  2. Click on "Download" ... [wait for the download box to pop up ... one, two, three, four ...]
  3. Then click "Open" ... [wait for the doc file to open ... one, two, three, four ... eleven ...]
  4. Click "Print" in MS Word ... [wait for the Print dialog box to open ... one, two, three, four ...]
  5. Select your Print settings in the box
  6. Click "OK".

That's 6 steps with some long pauses inbetween while you're waiting for the site or your computer to respond. That's why we decided it was time to re-think the process of printing. I'm delighted to report that we managed to simplify it to just 3 steps:

1. Click "Print" on the site
  2. Select your Print settings in the print dialog box
  3. Click "OK".

Step 1.

Steps 2-3.

To make things even faster, if you know what you want to print, as soon as you've found it on a search results page, you can print the worksheet directly from there without having to go to its download page. How? Just move the cursor over the worksheet preview, and the Print icon will be displayed. Click it and 3 seconds later your printer will start rolling out your prints.

If you upgrade to a Premium account, you will find that printing has indeed become lightning fast. Buckle up, because the Premium launch is near. :)

Bless up,
Peter
7 years ago

NEW PREMIUM FEATURE:
ADD TO DOWNLOAD CART

Don't get mixed up by the term "Cart". We will not transform into a webshop or something. With the introduction of the Premium subscription, everything that is free now will continue to be free in the future. A Cart simply means a download queue, it's just a symbol for a place to stash things for later use.

If you are always in a rush, you will find this feature handy because if you put your favorite worksheets in your download queue (cart), you don't need to save everything one by one. When you are finished with your treasure hunt, you just need to go to your cart in your account, and you can download all the files saved there with the click of a button as a zip file.

7 years ago

NEW PREMIUM FEATURE:
ADD RESOURCE TO YOUR FAVORITES

This new feature will allow you to "favorite" any resource by clicking the empty heart icon. When you click it, it turns red indicating that it's been saved to your Favorites, which can be found in your personal account (MyPage). If you use this tool, you will no longer need to download anything from iSLCollective, since you can always find your favorite stuff in your personal account, and you can even search your Favorites with the same search tools as you find on the main page.

You may now ask: But why would anyone not want to download (save) resources to their own computer? As far as I can see it, we are increasingly storing or backing up our materials on the internet, or in the cloud, as a relatively new term goes. Cloud here is a metaphor for a bundle of computers located in places far from you. Storing your stuff in the cloud has a number of advantages:
  • even though your data is stored in a remote data center, it's typically safer than your computer, since your hard drive may be damaged due to old age or your computer may be stolen. You will be safeguarded against these kinds of problems if you store your stuff online, on iSLCollective, in this case, since these data centers enjoy advanced securities, such as fire and dust protection, multiple backups for files, 24/7 available technicians.
  • You can reach your resources anywhere you go, especially handy if you've forgotten your printouts at home, and need to reproduce them quickly before the class.
  • You save time because clicking on the heart icon is much faster than saving worksheets on your computer.
Bless up,
Peter
7 years ago
What a fantastic idea! I'm sure many of us will upgrade to Premium which will enable you to keep up the good work you've been doing for some time!

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Janet
7 years ago
Hello dear All!
I agree with Janet...:-))) Though I'm not able to log in & share as I often as I 'd love to...., I do appreciate your hard work, Peter & team, & will get "my" Premium as soon as the lights turn green!
Bravo - & many thanks again!
Even if a bit early ( :-S...) , sending you all my best wishes for Christmas, & the new year to come...)
Bless up ( ;-) ....!!! )
Sylvie
7 years ago

Wow...what in the world is this HORRIBLE "file converter" that I clicked on in my Firefox browser that is now taking FOREVER to download (and I can't stop it)? It tried to change my Homepage and now, it is on PART 37 and at 76% only? Seriously? Why would you even have such a horrible spam infested bloatware on your site? Shame on you.

Warning: Do not click on the green Start Download button to the right of the page. It is an ad though it looks like it could be a legitimate download button, IT IS NOT.

Obviously I made a mistake donating money TWICE to this site for I still have to contend with these kinds of issues. I might as well be on 4chan.

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #6
Looks great. Can't wait to try the Premium features. :)
7 years ago

NEW PREMIUM FEATURE:
LEAF THROUGH WORKSHEETS ONLINE

With a Premium membership you will be able to leaf through all the pages of a worksheet directly on the site, and you will no longer need to download resources just in order to look inside.

In longer documents it comes handy that you can jump to page number, or the first/last page of the worksheet.

The paging works both on small and full screen previews.
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #1
Hi Peter,

I am facing a problem since few hours now I can't download it asks me to write a code in order to prove that I am not a spam robot, but it is impossible to click anywhere so I am stuck. I am about to upgrade but do not dare as it is not working.
Thanks for your help,

Lallia
7 years ago
What is going with this site . Now I cant download any worksheets because I dont have office 2010. I use this for my students in Mexico.. I guess not anymore. What a crappy site .
7 years ago
Asking people to donate or getting adverts to keep this site going seem Fine but asking people to pay for freely contributed worksheets by generous colleagues' work without any expectation apart from ''THANK YOU'' somehow doesn't sound right.
7 years ago
reply to maker1's post #14
7 years ago
I agree with you maker1, it doen't sound right to me too. Adds are o.k and so donation.
7 years ago
I can no longer see the material I have uploaded. It seems that if I don't pay I will no longer be welcome on this site. The thing is that I don't use this site to download other people's work. I have used it to upload eleven (up to now) of my works with the aim of helping people who don't have either the time or the advanced language skills which are necessary to create them.. In fact, these elevan wss. have been downloaded 2617 times and two of them have been printables of the day.
You cannot expect people to pay to download their wss. Without adjourned wss. people will gradually lose interest in the site.
Rethink your policy.
7 years ago
I have just realised that I have written "download their wss". when what I meant to say was "upload their wss." in my previous email.
7 years ago
Dear lesleymisano. I am not a premium user either but I can see my wss and the worksheets of other people including yours (here they are, btw http://en.islcollective.com/mypage/resources?type=Printables&searchworksheet=GO&view=grid&id=481775). I think there is a bug on the site connected with the changes on the site and lanching of new features. Maybe you should try to enter the site by using one of these browsers: Opera, Mozilla or Chrome. I hope the admins fix it soon.
Best wishes,
Natalia
7 years ago
reply to lesleymisano's post #17
Let me emphasize again that, of course, all the resources remained free to download in line with the site's mission to provide free teaching materials for teachers around the world. The Premium subscription simply means access to 9 handy tools, including full screen previews, that will make it easier and more comfortable for subscribers to use the site.

Also, you have full access to your uploads as a free member. You'll find them right there in your MyPage/Resources, a new submenu on your personal page.

1. First, select "My printable uploads" from the filter below the green MyPage submenu, then click GO.
2. Then you'll see your uploaded resources. Now you can even select if you want to see them in tile or list view, and sort them by time filters: All-time, monthly, weekly, daily, which are new features for both free and premium members.

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #21

Thank you for answering my doubts and queries so quickly.

Best wishes to everyone for the oncoming Christmas holidays.

Lesleymisano (Italy)

7 years ago
Dear Peter, thank you for being with us even at Christmas! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!
7 years ago
Hi Maker1,
As a friend, I'm answering on the forum - I hope you won't mind, as I disagree with you ... :-S
Peter HAS NEVER asked you to contribute - nor become a premium member... The ws on HIS site have always been free. So, what are you complaining about, dear friend ????
If - ever - you don't feel like giving money to Peter - well, just don't!!!!
I - feel like helping him & did become a premium member - just to help him - so what ??? Is there anything wrong with that ? Are we asking you for money, again & again ...????
Please, just download the stuff you need - & upload - much more than I do - & let people decide , whether they can help or not.
I'm amazed : so many people giving advice................, so few to help.... :-((((
My best wishes,
Sylvie
7 years ago
reply to liette's post #24
7 years ago

Hi.

I just have some doubts.

Is forum still open to not premium members? Because I couldn't type anything before taking a trial.

As a free member, we will have access to our printable uploads, but everytime I try to access this section on my profile, there is a SQL error and I cannot change pages.

I donate once and I will become a member really soon, just checking some things before doing so..

7 years ago
reply to orly100's post #16
Wish I had seen these posts before because that has been bothering me for awhile.Yes,people can choose whether to pay or not but the problem is the site keeps going with donations.And some people pay for it.What do they pay for? To keep this site going or to download my works(along with other millions of works)? What makes this site are our works and our works are FREE. At this point I agree with Orly and Maker1 and honestly I have been thinking about removing my works here bc they are not here for that.Merry Christmas to all members here who celebrate it.
7 years ago
Hi Mobscene,
I understand your point - but still cannot see what the problem is ... :-S...To me, it is just like donating, if I may say so -...
I love the sharing spirit here, & I like the fact that, whether you can help - & choose to do so, you can ;-))) If not, you can still download ws for free...
Anyway, sharing different points of view is great, too ;-)))
I wish you all a very Happy New Year,
Sylvie
7 years ago
reply to cacarpi's post #26
Hi,

I think we have a forum bug, Balint will sort out it, but it will take more time than usual, becuase of the holiday season.

Adam
7 years ago

ABOUT THE PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Thanks, Sylvie for your supportive attitude! I'm glad that there's some talk now about the Premium on the Forum, because it's the time of year when we need to raise the funds for the coming term to keep the site going.

Over the previous fundraisers lots of members suggested that instead of donations we ask for a small membership fee from everyone to download worksheets. We always said no, and insisted that the teaching resources have to remain free to download because the mission of the site is to make knowledge accessible to all free of charge. We still believe in that and continue to offer all worksheets FREE.

At the same time, I think it's worth a try to see if a voluntary membership fee could pay for the expenses of the site. Let there be no confusion about it: You can still download anything for free, just try it and you will see. The name "Premium" says it all: it's extra site functions for a small fee, and only for people who decide to have these functions. In other words, upgrading to Premium is optional; do it only if you want to, there's absolutely no pressure to do so.

The promise of this Premium thing for me is that if it's successful, we will be relieved of worrying every term about the survival of the site, as it will bring in a constant and reliable stream of revenue, so we can focus all our energy on how to keep the site fast and improve it further and further. And we won't have to talk about money twice a year, for two whole months, which will be a blessing. And we're full of plans as always. For everybody's benefit we want to develop the capability for the site to host all sorts of teaching materials: online interactive exercises, smart whiteboard materials, videos, mp3, etc. Besides, as the site gets bigger, it seems we will have to recode the whole database structure and programming structure from scratch, just to maintain its current speed. It's everybody's guess how much work that will take.

Let me take this opportunity to thank our generous past donors who made it possible for us to do a lot of work since May. This term we had to fight back two weeks of non-stop, continuous hacker attacks to the site. Luckily, you noticed nothing of it, because we could protect your teaching materials and your privacy. We also had huge problems with site speed and even, site access, due to a failure on the part of our hosting provider. We did a lot of gruelling behind-the-curtains toil to keep things working - most of which remains invisible to you -, so you've been able to use the site to prepare for classes. I think these show why it's essential to employ professional, paid staff for a serious site we've grown into.

In closing, you could either view the Premium as a great way to improve your user experience with a bunch of handy new functions, or see it as your chance to support the site financially. Or both at the same time.

Please be patient and forgiving with the bugs you see, e.g. the forum bug or the upload bug. There are a few of them still. During the development we've had hundreds of bugs, and these are the few that could escape our attention. I promise we'll fix them as early as we can.

Let's keep discussing this further. We're really interested to hear your thoughts. We would also appreciate a little feedback from Trial and Premium users about the new functions. We can improve things based on your comments.

Bless up,
Peter
7 years ago
Hi Peter & team :-))
Could you let us know which way you'd like to get our feedback about the new functions : Forum , pm, mail ...? ( not urgent, right , ;-)))
I'd be glad to help ;-))
Have a nice weekend,
Sylvie
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #31

I don't want to have this option : Premium trial anymore. I entered it because it was a mistake. Please help.

wonder9
7 years ago
reply to liette's post #32
Hi there, either in the forum or via private message is fine. Thank you!
7 years ago
ISLcollective français: "ESSAYER GRATUITEMENT " is better
7 years ago
reply to vlindertje's post #35
Thanks, I corrected it!
7 years ago
Very quickly, Thank you!
7 years ago
I'm very happy to have paid for the premium membership. I used the trial for a week and as soon as it was about to expire I paid for the premium membership. I am on a very tight budget but the luxury of the premium features are worth it to me. I teach large multilevel adult classes and have a very full load. Being able to quickly see a worksheet on full screen, toggle through pages, and print immediately without downloading are major conveniences to me. Also, I have now "saved" (by clicking the heart) many worksheets and love that I can sort my saved worksheets by topic by clicking on the above tabs. Though I haven't used it yet, I also checked out the "cart" function and look forward to downloading many files to a zip folder (on any one of my current topics - for example future tenses) with one click! I choose to pay for these luxuries/ conveniences and support the website. However, should anyone choose not to (or should I chose not to next year) we still have all the access to the wonderful free worksheets and functions that we always had on this great website. Thanks!
7 years ago
reply to reva's post #38
I am totally disgusted to see the comments of a member (reva) who has hardly uploaded a single worksheet on a free sharing site yet telling us how he/she is enjoying the luxury of buying the hardwork of many members in a luxurious manner with a little fee. There are many sites selling their own work but selling freely shared worksheets seem unique to this site. I won't delete my work that I have already shared but I won't be sharing my work anymore either. If that sounds fair to the moderators just for the sake of keeping the site going good luck to them.
7 years ago
Hi Peter & team,
I've become a Premium member - mainly to support the site & be of some help -:S ...But I do appreciate the new functions ; I haven't tried them all, but here are my "views" :
- the full-screen preview is really a must! It's just great, & very useful for my aging eyes ;-)))
- the "add to favourites " is very useful too ; I do not have to download every ws I find useful ; I just have to add it to my list...
- the flipping through pages is great too, esp. for powerpoints, or ws with many pages ( along with the larger preview : it's great: )
- I haven't used the "cart" yet ( ie = when you can download as zip - but it can be very handy..)
- I haven't tried to print to one click - as it is the feature I will probably not use a lot ...
.... As I told you, I registered to support you, but I think the new features are just great, & I hope many people will think the same...
I thank you - again - for he wonderful job you 've done so far, & wish you'll get enough Premium contributions to keep it running.
Again, I do understand people who share a lot, & find "buying" new features - not 'quite' right ; but - in the end - I believe we can all find ... 'a way' ; I know this site would not exist without your hard work, without people's contributions, & ...without money to keep it going....
Best wishes to all,
Sylvie
7 years ago
Dear maker1,

Downlading is free for all the members of the site. Users with free account can download worksheets and ppts for free and users with premium accounts can also download them for free. Premium users pay for additional features of the site, not for the worksheets.

Best wishes,
Natalia
7 years ago
reply to maker1's post #39
To maker 1: Since I am extremely busy and haven't taken the time to create materials, I thought that a generous way of helping maintain the website would be to pay for the membership, therefor helping everyone to enjoy the all the benefits of the free website. Are you disgusted with anyone who downloads free worksheets without contributing worksheets? Am I the only one on this website that has done that? Premium member or not? I don't see that the website is "selling freely shared worksheets" the worksheets reamain free to all members.
7 years ago
Dear Maker1,
I agree with Natalia & Reva : Ws here have always been free - to 'zero-pointers' & others...! Becoming a Premium member just means you need new features and/or you 'd like to support the site.
( Sorry, I think we were posting at the same time ...)
As Reva has just pointed out, this site is not selling freely shared ws, they've been free from the very start!
I do hope you'll think it over, & .... even with different views, that we'll be able to share our views again ;-)))
7 years ago
Hi there Peter ,
sorry for writing on the forum - again! - but there seem to be some trouble with the pms. I've sent you a mail, through my Premium box, but not quite sure it's working either - :-S....Just to let you know ;-)
Sylvie
7 years ago
reply to liette's post #44
Printable of the day 114 downloads. Most downloaded worksheet of the day is 43 downloads. Are these figures normal? I am even having difficulty reaching my own account. Why? Let's stop kidding ourselves since the introduction of Premium Membership things have become difficult for some. Everybody knows who are they. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what I am really trying to say.
7 years ago
reply to liette's post #44
Thanks, I'll see into it.
7 years ago
reply to maker1's post #45
Yes, it's completely normal for the winter holiday season. Everybody who can is off from work. Visits to the site have dropped to one fifth the regular. As for reaching your account, if I can help you with anything, please send me a pm and we'll try to sort it out.
7 years ago
7 years ago
I'm sorry to write to you here, but I don't understand why I can't upload my work my own work. See, please, what you can do. I don't want to give up but I will do it if you want me out . Thank you
7 years ago
reply to mamartins's post #49
Hi, you uploaded one on sparrows on Dec 28. Do you mean you tried to upload today or yesterday and it didn't go through? Could you please tell me in detail what the problem was? Was it a timeout problem (the upload didn't finish and the system said Timeout)? Or was it something else? I need exact details to give support on this. Thank you, Peter
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #51
It was something about my data, but I think it is OK now. Thank you and I wish you all a Happy new Year
7 years ago

Mij smiley doenot work....
7 years ago
reply to vlindertje's post #53
Hi, could you please post a link to a page where the smiley doesn't work?
7 years ago
http://fr.islcollective.com/resources/printables/worksheets_doc_docx/les_schtroumpfs/préintermédiaire-a2-compréhension/64027

The smiley en THK doesn't work here for example

Thank you

7 years ago
Hi,

Hope you can fix that upload / preview problem soon:

http://en.islcollective.com/resources/printables/worksheets_doc_docx/writing_tasks/writing-tasks-b2/63836

Kind regards from Austria

Walter

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #21

NEW DEFAULT IN MYPAGE/RESOURCES:
YOUR PRINTABLE UPLOADS

Since a number of colleagues seemed to have trouble finding their uploads, and not everybody reads the forum, we decided to put "My uploaded printables" as the default in your MyPage/Resources (to see it , click on your avatar in the top right corner). If you'd like to see your powerpoints, click on "My projectable uploads" in the dropdown menu on that page. Same for Teaching tips.

We hope this will help clear the confusion.

Bless up,
Peter
7 years ago
Hi, I've just become a premium member and I am quite happy with it, however when I add a worksheet to "favourites" clicking on the heart I don't seem to find them later. How do I reach them??
Thanks and keep up the good work
Margarita
7 years ago
reply to aditafigueras's post #58
Hi, we're happy you're happy with your subscription and thanks for supporting the site! You'll find your saved favorites in MyPage/resources. Choose "Favorites" next to the type field. Bless up, Peter

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!