6 years ago
Hi everyone,

I can't see the comments on my worksheets anymore! Is there something wrong with the site? Has anyone else experienced this? While we are on the subject, how can we see old comments when there are no new ones? I wanted to answer someone and didn't make a note of their name and now I can't get back onto my comments page.

Thanks in advance,
Janet
6 years ago
Hi Janet,
Yes! I have wondered, too. I received one comment one day ago. Other than that the latest comment I can read is from February 4. There must be a problem somewhere.
6 years ago
Hi everybody,

I miss the comments too. It's something I love, sending and receiving them. What happens? I hope it is a temporary problem.

Rosa
6 years ago
reply to rmartinandres's post #3

Hi, I was trying to find the comment bug, but can't see it.

I commented on this one.

Could you please help me find this problem? Then we can start fixing it right away.

Thank you,
Peter

6 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #4
Hi everybody!
I don't know what's the problem, but when we click on our own or someone else's worksheet we can see the comments there and they have been written recently. The problem is that we don't receive any indication about people's comments.
Mirita
6 years ago
Maybe we're talking about the little number in brackets below the 5 newest comments. If you click on that, you can see more comments. See screenshot below.

6 years ago
reply to Mirita1959's post #5
Oh, do you mean the little messages below the main menu that says "X comments"?
6 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #7

WHAT WOULD GIVE YOU A BETTER EXPERIENCE ON THE SITE AS AN AUTHOR?

Yes, indeed. Now I can see it. Thanks everybody for pointing this out. We'll fix this first thing on Monday!

BTW, I'm well aware that one of the best things of being an author is the comments. Actually, we're planning on improving the experience for authors on the site. So we're gonna put effort into this.

I have some ideas, but it would be nicer if you, the authors, would tell us what improvements you'd like to have, anything that our programmers can actually develop for you.

So the question is:

What would give you a better experience on the site as an author?
Or if this might be difficult, what is your experience as an author, joys and pain points?

Thank you in advance for helping me fire up a discussion on this.

Bless up,
Peter

6 years ago
Hi Peter,
Joys and pain points you say? Well, It's very encouraging and rewarding for me to find nice comments from other authors whose hard work I appreciate too. I think this is one of the best things: to feel yourself as a member of a community that is considered useful for many others. In the other hand, the pain point, those downloaders who only want to be served, I mean, those who don't say anything warm when they find a mistake or a problem with a worksheet. But, this is difficult to be solved.
Looking forward to seeing your new ideas, Peter. Thank you for your effort.

Rosa
6 years ago
Hi Peter,

The problem, as I see it, is that there have been no new comments on the site for days (which is very strange for me!) and I suppose it's the same for the others.

Of course it's great to hear what others think of our work and YES it's very rewarding, but the whole idea of this site is SHARING! On that point I STILL think it's unfair for people to download CONSTANTLY without uploading any of their work - that is NOT sharing! That is having something for nothing.

Could I make a suggestion for the site? We need another tab under our names (on the right of the homepage): called "comments" so that we can go back and look at them again and answer people if necessary. It's always been a problem just seeing them once and having to wait until new comments arrive before being able to see the list again. Can you do that?

Other than that the site is great and we ALL appreciate your hard work. I'm just sorry I don't have much time to help with translations nowadays, but keep trying Peter.

Best wishes
Janet
6 years ago
reply to jannabanna's post #10

Hi Janet,

Thanks for your thoughts. We'll put a comments menu in your MyPage menu to help you go back to your comments. As for the new comments notification below the menu, it seems to be fine. Maybe colleagues just went on a holiday for the Valentine weekend?

On the point of fair vs unfair, are you recommending that we make sharing compulsory? So we introduce a reciprocal system where you can only download if you upload? If that's what you mean, and if we do that, what would make us different from ESLPrintables.com? What would be the point of having two identical sharing sites?

Or do you think we should limit the number of downloads possible for those who do not upload their own work? Or make rating, commenting compulsory? What I'd like to discuss is the system and rules of our site.

Thanks
Peter

6 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #11
You'll never be the same as eslprintables because of all the different language resources you provide but I must admit I find their rules fairer. Upload to download! Sorry! Could be a good idea to limit the number of downloads until teachers upload something, why not?

Apart from that I can't see anything wrong with your system and rules. What do the others think? Come on everyone let's have your ideas on this!

Thanks again Peter (and team !!!)

Janet
6 years ago
There could be some simple system of rewards for downloaders who comment or say thank you- for all to see. But really there should be a limit on downloads per week or per month. There are too many takers on this site. Those who are unable to create orignal materials could contribute in some way. Any suggestions?
6 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #11
Hi everybody!
I've been reading all your opinions and I understand it is frustrating to work and work and in the end there is no reward. However, we can't forget the spirit of this site "sharing for free". As Peter said this not ESLPrintables (and it seems we are always comparing ourselves with it!!!), there is no compulsory point. We share because we want and feel like it. Now we can't say "ok, you can only download 2 or 3 ws per day because you don't download". There are amazing people here that create a lot of fantastic ws and don't mind sharing them. So what's the point of limiting their downloading?!! Of course people could at least say"thank you", but that's is probably a matter of "politeness?", "education?", "custom?" or something else, I don't know. I think we have to make up our minds and decide if we want to go on sharing our work for free (not even a "thank you") or not. But let's discuss it! Two heads are better than one!
Thanks for all your work!
Mirita
6 years ago
I completely agree with you Mirita. BTW, someone is monopolizing again! We should have a limit for uploading every day.
Rosa
6 years ago
There are still no comments on either of my pages - French or English - so now I know there is a problem!

Janet
6 years ago
reply to jannabanna's post #16
Hi Janet,
click on one of your ws and see if there are new comments. I tried that with mine and I could see some new comments there. The problem is that we don't receive any warning as it used to happen.
Have a nice week
Mmirita
6 years ago
Hi Janet,

Yes, no new comments sounds like something is broken. Please help me find this phenomenon. I just posted a comment on one of your worksheets to test it. Can you see it?

And did you receive a notification below the main menu that you have a new comment?

Thanks
Peter

6 years ago
reply to Mirita1959's post #17
Hi Mirita,

I posted a comment on yours too. Did you get a notification about the new comment?

https://en.islcollective.com/resources/printables/worksheets_doc_docx/new_years_resolutions_are_bad_for_you/future-simple-will/75675

Peter
6 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #20
Yes, this time I got it, but I don't know if it is working with the ones who are commenting. I've commented some ws and when I went back to see if the comment was there, I could see it. The problem seems to be with the warning sign. Let's see if it goes on working!
Keep up the good work!
Mirita
6 years ago
I think French, Spanish and Russian sites do not need any limitations beacause there aren't many people who upload their work. The limits will kill their desire to post anything. As for the English site, anyone can click on "see more" and se all the worksheets. It is possible to download any worksheet any time.
6 years ago
Hi Peter,

It seems to be working again. I received a notification below the main menu that I had two new comments (just like before) but it WOULD be nice to have a tab under our name to be able to go back to them whenever we want. Would that be possible?

Thanks again for all your HARD work!

Best wishes
Janet
6 years ago
reply to jannabanna's post #23
Dear Janet,

it's good to hear that it works now. :) As for the comments menu, we are already developing it. It's gonna be part of your MyPage menu.

Peter
6 years ago
Do you use 'wanna' and 'gonna'? Do you teach them in your classes?

If you want to help out a frazzled graduate student, take my five-minute survey!

(Hopefully I'll soon have time to post cool stuff!)

btw, 'mother tongue' users will be screened out of the results, but I'm still interested in what you think!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2QDBKN5

Cheers!

G

6 years ago
Hi all!

Thanks so much if you participated in my survey on 'wanna' and 'gonna'!

I'm posting the results link below:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-9NNQVPJ7/

Cheers!

G
6 years ago
So being a graduate student in linguistics, I have another survey!

If you are bilingual (whether English is your L1 or your L2), take my survey on:

Creative writing and L2 identity

It should take 15/30 minutes, with ten open questions.

Here's the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N9998ND

Thanks!

G

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!