6 years ago
I've just had a rather cold comment on one of my worksheets pointing out a spelling mistake (I'd missed out an "s" - stupid typing error!) from someone who had NEVER uploaded anything at all. By the way I'm British and DON'T make spelling mistakes in my OWN language!

He/She said: "Another powerpoint with a spelling mistake :P . Thanks for all the good helpful work nevertheless. Newsagents was spelt wrong." He/She could have worded it differently, don't you think?

Who agrees with me that people should upload before being able to download?

Janet
6 years ago
reply to jannabanna's post #1
Hi Janet, I agree with you. It happened to me too. I think people should upload before being able to download.
Hugs from Córdba , Argentina,
Noemí.
6 years ago
reply to Mishqui's post #2
He/She could have sent me a private message instead of putting it on the contents line. Still people will be people.

Hugs from France
6 years ago
reply to Mishqui's post #2
Hi Noemí,
It must be disheartening to hear negative comments. I can only hope that those leaving comments are simply trying to help rather than criticize.
I myself am useless at creating worksheets and, like so many teachers, I am truly grateful for all the suggestions and examples I can get from capable, talented, and able people like you and Janet. However, if people (like me) had to upload before downloading, many of my students would not have been able to benefit from excellent and adaptable worksheets I have been able to share from fellow teachers all over the world. Thanks again for sharing.
Best wishes from Thailand,
Tim
6 years ago
reply to jannabanna's post #1
I agree with Tim. If people were required to upload before they could download then I wouldn't be able to use the site. I am a new teacher and am so grateful that there are people who are good at something where I struggle and are willing to share their resources rather than try to sell them.

The resources on here are really great and I am sorry someone left a negative comment. S/he probably didn't really think about how s/he wrote it unfortunately. I just don't think requiring people to upload first would prevent people from leaving thoughtless comments. Also, if people uploaded stuff that wasn't very useful or well-done, it would just clutter the site and make it harder to use.

I haven't gotten to any of your work yet Janet, but I am sure it is very helpful. Thank you in advance for sharing it :)
6 years ago
reply to laddmm's post #5
Good morning everyone,
I would like to say that although I'm British and English is easy for me, teaching it is quite new and not as easy , I had never made worksheets before I started teaching. I joined this particular website because I could download worksheets without uploading any.
Now having more experience I have started making my own which I am more than happy to share with new teachers. I want to give back to the website and perhaps other new teachers will upload their ideas once
they have some experience.
I'm living abroad at the moment and I have found that non-native speakers can be more direct when using English, I'm not sure if this is intended or not, I like to give them the benfit of the doubt and hopefully this is the case here on the website. But for every critism there will be a lot more appreciation.
I just want to finish by saying that this site is helping a lot of people, the contributors and people running the site are doing an amazing job.
6 years ago
reply to AjarnTim's post #4
Hi Tim,
I did not want offend anybody with my comment. At the beginning it took me a lot to create my worksheets.I understand that not everyone has time to create their worksheets. It would be interesting if criticisms were in private and not in public. on April 10 will be 43 years that I teach English . I have suffered two ischemic strokes and I still go on working.Tthis site has been an important part of my recovery. Thank you for reading this comment.
Hugs from Córdoba, Argentina,
Noemí.
6 years ago
reply to Mishqui's post #7
I made a mistake "I did not want offend " = I didin't want TO offend ... (sorry)
6 years ago
Perhaps you are all right! Some people just can't create their own worksheets and it would be a pity to exclude these people from uploading because of it. In particular new teachers who really do need our help.

BUT I still think that negative comments should be sent by private message after all "it" stays under the worksheet for everyone to see. Typing mistakes can be made and sometimes we don't see them immediately. If and when this happens I correct and upload the corrected worksheet immediately and thank the person for pointing it out, especially as people are normally very polite.

Maybe I'm being too susceptible.

Bye for now from sunny France!

Janet
6 years ago
reply to Mishqui's post #8

Another mistake didin't= didn't. :(

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!