5 years ago
It is fair what member "arkangela" does on the first page?
5 years ago
reply to mamartins's post #1
Sorry, could you please be more clear on what you mean? Thanks, Peter
5 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #2
Once you said that three uploads per day were permitted. I don't remember if these were the exact words but the mean is. What I mean is that that member uploaded 10 ws at once. Aren't rules to be taken seriously?
5 years ago
Hello, Maybe the rules are not clear enough. Actually, I find it quite difficult for new members to find them : bottom of page , FAQ or About us ( not even sure this has been stated , clearly enough...?) Actually, I find it a bit disturbing : either too many uploads (!....) or not enough....How can a new member know ??? I guess the member you mentioned did his/her best to help, don't you think ???
5 years ago
reply to liette's post #4
I agree with you. Then, something has to be done so that new members pay attention to the rules.
5 years ago
reply to mamartins's post #3
I might be wrong, but I don't recall saying that three uploads per day were permitted. In fact, is not against our stated upload rules to share more than three worksheets. Furthermore, as far as I can see, it happens that some of the most prolific uploaders also upload more than three worksheets in a single day, so it seems to me that sometimes colleagues are very productive and just want to share their work right away to get instant feedback about them and let others benefit from them. Besides, most of users actually don't visit the main page all that much, as they prefer to run searches on various topics for their next lesson. In searches they sort results by most downloaded or most liked. As a result, multiple uploads by the same user are not even noticed by most users. As a matter of fact, it is in the site's interest to welcome any and any number of uploads from everyone. Because the more uploads we get, the more topics we can provides worksheets for. We even accept low quality work because we don't want to impose any sort of limitations on uploaded worksheets - as long as they are relevant to language teachers. We let the community decide with their votes - their downloads, effectively - what is worthy and what is not. We adopted this approach - instead of an editorial approach - because we want to encourage as many people as possible to share their works. As for the number of downloads your uploads are receiving, I am certain that it is not affected by how many uploads there are in a single day, or in other words, how big the competition among worksheets is, because the users who like to browse the newest resources tend to download every worksheet they deem interesting and high quality. In closing, I'd like to encourage everyone who's bothered by multiple uploads to view this matter from a larger perspective, as something that is beneficial for the site. All the more so because we have fewer uploads per day than some years ago. What we really need to talk about is how to encourage more colleagues sharing their work, because what we can see on iSLCollective is a lot of consuming ("taking" if you will), but not so much giving. Just look at the lack of thank you's or the dire state of our fundraiser. Apropos the Spring fundraiser, we have a weeks left and we haven't even achieved a third of our goal. It is essential for us to collecting these funds to get us through the summer when teachers go on a summer break and abandon the site, and hardly any ad revenues are generated, while we still have to pay the same bills for the site. Everyone, please think about giving, too, before you go on your summer break. Thank you, Peter
5 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #6
I took note.
5 years ago
I can understand the reasons of the site but am I the only regular uploader who likes an attrcative main page and the contact with other members? If the main page and its tabs (members, forum, etc) is going to be neglected, I will lose interest...
5 years ago
reply to rmartinandres's post #8
Hi rmartinadres,I agree with you.Hugs from Argentina, Noemí.
5 years ago
Do you mean that if there are more than 3 uploads by the same user visible on the main page, the main page is not attractive anymore? And what do you mean by the members page and the forum being neglected? As for the contact with others, we are working on a new feedback mechanism. At regular intervals, we are going to ask for every member's feedback on their favorite worksheets (as signalled by their actions, e.g. favoriting the worksheet or downloading/printing it multiple times over a period). Members will have a separate page where they can submit their feedback. The authors will also have a separate tab on their comments page where they can see the feedback they receive. I hope this will help make human contact more tangible on the site.
5 years ago
I've been loosing interesting, slowly but it has happened.
5 years ago
I'm glad to hear that there are some interesting innovations planned for the site. Perhaps I should have chosen better words but I couldn't presuppose all this new information. By no means I intended to make you feel annoyed, Peter.
5 years ago
reply to rmartinandres's post #12
I think the administrators aren't wiiling to listen to the the members'views and do the necessary changes to improve the site ! Consequently, day after day the site is losing its faithful uploaders who used to create amazing ws.Now, we've got only their names and their old contributions.Now, quantity is becoming more important than quality and the result is that the site is losing even the confidence of downloaders who used to support the site.That's why we haven't even achieved a third of our goal and collected the amount of money needed.Sorry to say this, but it's the truth.
5 years ago
reply to james33's post #13
James, thanks for your thoughts! I'm not sure which "member views" have been ignored. It has been raised that authors should have their special disctinction on the site. However, when I've asked for concrete suggestions in the forum about how to improve things, there was no feedback. A system has to be devised for awarding the best authors. How should we measure achievement (number of downloads, likes, how many?), do we need a new five scale rating perhaps for worksheets? What should we call this author distinction and should we have various categories (achievement levels)? We do hear the complaints about too the scarce number of thank you notes being received. I asked authors in the forum about how we should improve the situation, but I haven't gotten any advice. Therefore, I set out on my own to devise a new, better feedback mechanism that does a better job at eliciting feedback from downloaders. I explained the idea in my previous post. I hope it will work out for the better. On another note, I'm wondering why you think that "quantity is becoming more important than quality"? We haven't changed our upload rules since 2009. Do you guys feel that the upload policy should change? If there's a quality problem, what changes do you recommend to improve quality? I would love to have a conversation about why some authors are losing interest in sharing their work on iSLCollective, and how we could improve things. Please share your views. I. If you don't like using a public forum, just send a PM to me. Thanks Peter
5 years ago
reply to rmartinandres's post #12
No, I'm absolutely not annoyed. On the contrary, I am quite glad to discuss these things. At least there's some life in this forum, as for much of the time it's silent as if iSLCollective was a new and empty site, and not one visited by 30-40 thousand teachers a day. I was just trying to give reasons to explain why I feel a certain way, but I am always glad to have a conversation and hear your views. Sorry if I gave a different impression with my post.
5 years ago
5 years ago
'Lose interest...' I don't like that verb but that's what has happened to a lot of members who used to upload regularly here (unfortunately, I am one of them) I LOVE attractive main pages and I even made a colour version and a B&W one, but when you see so many downloads and no feedback, that's exactly what happens...you completely lose interest :(
5 years ago
reply to mamartins's post #11
I completely agree.
5 years ago
reply to james33's post #13
Have you also lost interest? I miss your worksheets.
5 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #14
My dear Peter, I WANT THE THANK YOU BUTTON BACK!!! ::))))
5 years ago
Yes, I totally agree with you Begonia.....It's so easy say "thank you" but it's also necessary.....always say "thank you" when you download........it's a sign of RESPECT!
5 years ago
reply to michela1's post #21
Revision: Past Simple Tense. A great worksheet by Ktam !! 93 downloads ! Wow !!!This is the quality I've talked about that the site really needs.I hope you will understand me Peter.Many authors like Ktam have stopped sharing their pearls.I'd like also to thank Sylviepieddaignal, rmartinadres, pury and many others for sharing their great contributions.
5 years ago
THANK YOU James33 for your words and for your great worksheets. Join us again with new contributions! :)

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!