4 years ago
I am just wondering a little about the most downloaded weekly section. To me it seems it is the same wss that have been sitting there most of the summer. Is anything wrong?
I usually find the section very useful to keep me informed about popular uploads.
4 years ago
reply to Mulle's post #1
Dear Colleague,

we have some technical problems with the service publishing the most popular worksheets to the site.
Our technical team working hard to resolve the problem.
We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Best wishes,
Zsuzsa
4 years ago
reply to Zuzu12's post #2
It's a stroke of luck points-wise for those few top authors there! Those illicit points should be auctioned off;-)). Anyway, one of mine has just sneaked in, so I'm not complaining!
Lynne
4 years ago
reply to MrsFrobisher's post #3
Dear Lynne,
our technical team is working on it, so everything will be back to normal soon.:-)
Best wishes,
Zsuzsa
4 years ago
I'm sure that nobody likes to have the same most weekly downloaded wss for two months. Neither do I. However, if there are some technical problems, it's just a question of time that everything is ok again. BTW, I'd prefer having my last weekly most downloaded wss there instead of the old ones...

Anyway, what I can't understand is why someone who is not new here is hogging the front page and also recommends to download similar wss that are not hers. I mean, all her wss today have a link to mine but she refers to them as hers. Perhaps this is another technical problem. Who knows...
4 years ago
reply to rmartinandres's post #5
Dear Rosa!
I absolutely agree with you about the same page for a long time.........
Don't you think that the number of worksheets per day should be limited? Hogging the whole front page isn't fair to other uploaders.
Tanya

4 years ago
reply to tantana's post #6
Hi to you all, I pointed the problem of monopolizing the front page with that many worksheets a few days ago , but to no avail apparently and I really think that it is rather discouraging for other authors to be swept away in no time from the front page , and I even wonder if i'll go on sending my contributions here if clear rules are not esrablished as on ESL printables for example. Sorry guys , but I ma in a bit of a temper!:((((
4 years ago
reply to rmartinandres's post #5
The Similar worksheets section on worksheet pages is generated algorithmically in order to show the best related resources. It works the same way as Youtube's Similar videos suggestions next to each video. It is a way to give more visibility to the best resources.

As for the Most downloaded weekly section, it was just recently that we noticed that it was glitchy. We are working on it, along with fixing some other bugs we found. I would expect it to be back to normal next week sometime.

Last time I suggested in the forum that we do away with the Random resources section and have more items in the Newest section. I am still awaiting your feedback on that. Tell me if you think it is a good idea. I think it would not take long development hours. Another idea is to have a Most downloaded daily section, where the most downloaded worksheets from the previous day are shown that would afford one more day of visibility to the most deserving worksheets. Or maybe the algorithm could measure the number of downloads in the first one or two hours, so then you wouldn't feel obliged to to time your upload to the early morning hours to get the best exposure, but could also upload in the afternoon. Let me know if you like any of these ideas.
4 years ago
Peter, I'm not talking about similar worksheets. Only the uploader can type the description of his or her worksheets and it's there where I have read that she typed "my" referred to another uploader's ones - in this case my own wss. And this is wierd because she's not a new uploader.
If you want to have my opinion about the ramdom resources section, I consider it's essential; otherwise, it'd be impossible to get very good resources that are not new or didn't get many downloads since it was swept away from the front page. I find the number of the sections appropriate. What I don't like is to see a monopolized front page, either I have uploaded something or not-. I thoroughly agree with Sylvie.
4 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #8
Dear Peter,
I think that Random resources section is very important and should be on the front page. I want to know - is it a problem to limit the number of uploading worksheets per day for one author?
Best wishes,
Tatiana

4 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #8
I don't find the Random section particularly useful, so I would do away with it. If downloaders want a specific topic, they can do a search for it, after all. The issue, as outlined by Sylvie, Rosa and others, is that you spend a lot of time uploading a contribution and it gets swept away very quickly from the main page if someone uploads 7, 8, 9 wss at a time. This can also happen if many contributors contribute at the same time. I like the idea of measuring the allotted time, so you can be sure your ws will get fair exposure. I also liked Peter's previous idea of using the random ws space for extra 'most downloaded'. That way, you know that if you upload a quality piece of work, it has a good chance of re-appearing once it's off the main page. Is it desirable to limit the nimber of uploads anyone can make in a day? I think so - maybe only three in any 24 hours.
4 years ago
reply to MrsFrobisher's post #11

I agree that when you put in a lot of work into a teaching material, you want to see it get a fair amount of exposure. And it seems to be key that it should be "fair" in the sense that every worksheet should get the same amount of visibility. Now, if you upload at a time when there are a large number of worksheets being uploaded by the same author, it might get pushed out really fast from among the 12 newest resources shown on the front page. Eventually, although colleagues can click through to the full list of recent resources ("See more" button), still, probably it means less downloads for a worksheet if it is uploaded at a time of buzzing uploading activity. So I can relate to those who are annoyed by this inherent unpredictablity of front page exposure and I can see how from their point of view they may perceive this as unfair, and come to the conclusion that if authors were limited to maximum 3 uploads per day, exposure would be balanced and fair.

But it's possible to look at this problem from another angle. Is it only just because of mass uploads by the same author that exposure is unpredictable and unbalanced? I think MrsFrobisher has a point when she points out that if it weren't for those who upload more than three worksheets at a time, things would be pretty much the same, because new worksheets shown in the Newest section also rotate rather quickly when a lot of authors happen to upload around the same time, even just a single upload each. In light of this, don't we want a solution that guarantees that your worksheet will get a fair amount of visibility at all times, regardless of the circumstances?

And wouldn't we prefer a solution which would allow us to uphold the core publishing principle of iSLCollective, which has been unchanged since our launch in 2009? Namely, iSLCollective lets every legit worksheet be published without passing a judgement about quality and we do not impose restrictions on the number of uploads permitted in a given time slot. So in short, upload anything (legit) anytime.

But is it really possible to improve front page exposure without imposing certain uploading restrictions, and improve it so that it will guarantee balanced and fair exposure at all times? Indeed, it is possbile, and we even have two solutions to choose from.

A) Double the number of uploads shown in the Newest worksheets section

Showing the 24 newest worksheets on the front page would ensure not only double exposure time, but probably a full day of visibility, as the number of uploads on our English platform rarely exceeds 20 per day as seen in the chart below.

B) Create a new section: Most downloaded worksheets daily

We could show worksheets from the previous day, and we could decide if we want to just measure their popularity (download count) in the first hour after upload or give each worksheet 12 or 24 hours. The reason this would work is because a lot of people click through to see the full roster of Newest worksheets and they keep downloading the best ones even after they are not on the front page, but they won't click on the mediocre worksheets, even if there are many by the same author. This way the download counts received in the first few days give a true measure of a worksheet's popularity and showing them on the second day again would further strengten their position.

Bless up,
Peter

4 years ago
reply to rmartinandres's post #9
Ok, I think I know what links you are referring to and why they seemed to be weird. Can you please check now whether they are still linking to your own mypage? I think not anymore.
4 years ago
I've checked some of the worksheets and everything is ok, Peter. Thanks :)
As I see, the second option you suggest is better. It's not a matter of number but of time of exposure.
Rosa
4 years ago
We could finally fix the glitch mentioned in the title of this thread, the Most downloaded weekly section. I am sorry that it has been broken down for so long. We didn't notice it for a long time. I appreciate any help you guys can give us in the future in reporting any bug you encounter. We try to fix bugs as soon as possible after we learn about them.
4 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #12
Tomorrow we are going to start working on creating the new section 'Most downloaded worksheets daily'. I would like to share with you the algorithm I have come up with.

Every day we will run the computer script at the same time (the one that generates the list), at 6 am (GMT+1). We look at all the uploads between 9pm the day before yesterday and 9pm yesterday. We are going to show the 12 worksheets that received the most downloads in the 9 hours after their upload.

Why do we take into account only the downloads received during the 9 hours after upload? Because there are 9 hours between 9 pm and 6 am. This way each worksheet will have the same time to gather downloads (no matter if you uploaded at midnight, 8 am or 9 pm), and 9 hours is long enough to clearly see which worksheets were the most popular in a given day.

And what is the thinking behind publishing the new Most downloaded daily worksheets at 6 am? Because at 6 am GMT+1, teachers haven't started teaching yet (or finished already) in the countries that islcollective gets the most traffic from. So it means that the new list is published before the new teaching day begins.

This is a system that allows the best new worksheets to be featured again as soon as the next day. All you have to pay attention to is that if you want to see your worksheet featured among the most downloaded daily the next day you have to make sure to upload it before 9 pm GMT+1. If you can't, that is still not a big deal, you will see your amazing worksheet again the day after tomorrow.

We will implement this algorithm, and we'll see if it will prove to be a just and effective system in practice that offers the fair, predictable and balanced visibility for the best worksheets.

Bless up,
Peter
4 years ago
Hello..Just wondering about the most dowloaded weekly..I've had mine in page one but it doesnt show on the front page..wonder how are the selctions are done?? Thank you
4 years ago
reply to Misstylady's post #18
Hi,

the most downloaded weekly algorithm is this: the worksheets uploaded 14-7 days before the switch (the new weekly best list), which got the most downloads in the 7x24 hours after their upload are selected. This way every worksheet has the same amount of time to collect downloads (7x24 hours), so that's how it's fair. Even if a worksheet is uploaded 7 days before the new weekly best list, it will have one week to collect downloads.

Bless up,
Peter
4 years ago
Thank you for the clarification.

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!