2 years ago

Hello everyone! My name is Mary Moreno, I finished my studies in may and the next month, I started to work in a school in Santiago de Tolu. It is my first experience as a teacher. the challenge that I have faced is the previous teacher had a different way to teach because he always used worksheet and focused all his clases on grammar, it means that he did not practice speaking, listening or writing. Now, I want to implement all my knowledges and make the classes totally different. I want to practice all the skills and develop my classes in an interactive and dynamic way. My students say that they do not know anything and the activities are so difficult for them. For this reason, I want to know some strategies or advices. Thank you..

2 years ago
reply to MaryMoreno12's post #1

It's a very normal reaction from students to say they don't know anything and haven't learnt anything from the previous teacher. I'd suggest you put together a test to see what level they are on and what fields they have trouble with (best if you don't grade it yet) once you know where their weaknesses are you'll know where to fill the gaps.

About speaking: Definitely make them speak only english throughout your class, even if it's sloppy the more they have to speak the more comfortable they get with it.

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!