8 years ago

Dear Colleagues!

Last Christmas we promised to strengthen our development department, and bring you a host of new features on islcollective.com. After Christmas we spent months searching, and finally we found the right person for the job!

We hired an experienced, "senior" developer in April. Meet Balint Harangozo, our new php developer, who has 10 years of experience in developing websites. The arrival of Balint marks a new era in the history of our sharing portal, not only because we'll be able to provide more professional maintenance and support for you, but also because gradually we’ll be able to realize our plans we’ve had for years, but never got around to besides our day jobs. We're really excited about it all!

To accommodate our first full-time, paid employee we have rented an office for iSLCollective in downtown Budapest (Hungary). Basically the office is a table and a chair in a shared, so-called co-working space, which is known to be the most affordable office option for fledgling entrepreneurs.

Our table is the one on the left of the green column. You can see some more photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/TopTradeBp/GreenPointKoWerk#5782451226118638882

This shared office is quite empty at the moment with two other entrepreneurs showing up occasionally, so it's really calm and cozy; ideal for focusing on the work. Also, it's about a 5-minute walk from my school, which makes it easier for me to harmonize managing the development of iSLCollective and my full-time school duties.

Before it runs too long, let me finish my first post in this thread, entitled Developer's Corner, which I’ve started to keep you posted about what’s going on development-wise. In my next posts I'll tell you about the other improvements to our technical department, introduce the first feature Balint has developed (the very text editor I've used to write this post) and the first big feature to be rolled out very soon.

Bless up,
Peter

8 years ago
Congratulations for your new goal!

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #1
Congratulations, Peter! Keep up the good work :)

7 years ago
Congratulations and thanks a lot. I love the office!

7 years ago
I've seen a ws today and it has been copied from ESL printables done by mada l "Body parts"

enasfe from Turkey is the person who has stolen the worksheet.

Could you do something to prevent these actions. I can't believe some people how mean they are.

Thanks for your help

Ana Maria

7 years ago
I've seen another ws copied by enasfe from Turkey. The owner is Katiana from ESLprintables.

We should do something about this. Thanks for your help.

Ana Maria

7 years ago
reply to anarti's post #5
We can't prevent it, but we can remove it. Please use the Report ws function and include a link to the original. That's how we investigate each case. Thanks, Peter

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #7
I'm sorry to distiurb you but I can't find the Report ws function.

Thanks. Ana Maria

7 years ago
How exciting! Congratulations Peter and all the isl team. Also, a big warm welcome to Balint. The new office looks great. There are exciting times ahead. Warm regards from Valencia, Spain. Margaret xx

7 years ago
reply to anarti's post #8
hi,

You can find the link at the bottom of the ws page. "report copied ws".

adam

7 years ago
reply to anarti's post #8
Dear Ana, you can see the report copied ws option (written in blue) below the comments. I saw a copied ws once too and reported it by clicking on this link. I found the original ws and gave its link. The ws was removed then.

7 years ago

Dear friend, (I hope you allow me to call you this way)

It's simply beautiful. My soul has already traveled to there!

Congratulations.

Lúcia

Brazil

7 years ago

congratulationssssssssssssssssssssssss...

7 years ago
BHB BHB
reply to Marg's post #9

Thank you Margaret! I'll do my best!

Balint

7 years ago

Peter, this is fantastic news! I must say, Balint looks really sweet! This is a brilliant site, thank you for all the hard work you must put in to provide us with this service.

7 years ago

I am so glad to see this. Your are fantastic. This website is the better I saw.

Hugs from Brazil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. beautiful place you have chosen!

7 years ago

Great website. I've been using it every day since I discovered it about 2 weeks ago. Keep up the good work!

Dave, Korea

7 years ago

Great website !! thanks for your efforts :) I hope Ballint H. will happy with us . Hugs from Turkey :)))

7 years ago

Thanks a lot for all you've done... Love from Iran :)

7 years ago

Us teachers from Brasil are really happy with all you've done also!

7 years ago

Wonderful!!! §Congratulation!! longue vie à ISL collective

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #30

Congratulations to all of you! We are looking forward to your amazing work and help. Thanks.

7 years ago

You besides smart, are beautiful! ;)

7 years ago

Thank you for the great job you do for all of us EFL teachers!!!!! Congratulations and greetings from Romania!

Best wishes,

Viorica

7 years ago

Nice team! Thanks for this wonderful website!

Hugs from rainy and cold Spain

Gloria

7 years ago
reply to gloenglish's post #34

Hi Gloria! Yes, there's snow on the Sierra Calderona, we can see it from our terrace! Nearly May too! Keep warm! Marg xxxx

7 years ago

Thank you very much for this great website! You help me all the time with my classes.

Regards,

Caro from Argentina

7 years ago

keep up the good work. I 'm thrilled to hear these good news .THANK YOU

7 years ago

Meet Mark, our server expert!

iSLCollective.com has grown BIG!

I just checked it and we have 398,145 members at this moment! So we will reach the 400 thousandth member tomorrow (that's how many people are registering in a day). Indeed, our user base has doubled since the previous fundraiser. With this many users we got to a new level in terms of both the personnel needed to operate the site, and the technical infrastructure needed to run it.

This January we had to move from 1 server to a 6-server set-up to respond to the growth of the site. We are glad to see from your feedback that the pages are actually loading a lot faster with the new servers in much of the world.

We also had to hire a part-time server expert, to regularly monitor our servers, conduct server upgrades, do server maintenance and software updates, and make sure that islcollective.com is fast to load in all parts of the world.

We are proud to say that with Balint and Mark on board we’re able to provide a more reliable service than ever! :)

So here’s our core team (from the right): Balint (seated), and the Men in black: Adam (my brother), Mark, Bence, and myself. (BTW, the black and gray outfits are totally coincidental, though they could have been a reflection of the very cold and rainy weather in Europe that lasted until mid-April.)

Bless up,
​Peter

7 years ago
reply to Mirita1959's post #31

congratulations..........nice work and keep it up...

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #39

you guys rock!!!! Thanks for the amazing jobs that you guys doing. See you ....

7 years ago

You're increible! Greetings from Poland!!:))

7 years ago

very nice bunch of people. Thanks for your hard work. Your website is really useful.

7 years ago

Keep up the good work! Glad to be part of this wonderful community!

Best reagrds

Mabdel

Agadir, Morocco

7 years ago

Hi GUYS,

I'm from India and I teach poor little underpriveliged children. I
7 years ago

Thank you!

7 years ago

the best
7 years ago

Hi, I am from Indonesia....nice to be a member here. This web gives me more inspiration and knowledge. Never meet such kind of web before. I am new here but I have got a lot of benefits from
7 years ago

Hi, I'm from Brazil, I am an English teacher, so I
7 years ago
reply to solnavarro's post #50

so I like to congratulate for all people to contribute for this success, I'glad for you!!!!!

7 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS!!

7 years ago

Congratulations! it is exciting to be a part of this growth! Keep going!

7 years ago

Appreciated you guys hard work. Keep it on!

Besides, I need your help as I mistakenly uploaded the same file for twice. Please help me to remove the 1st one.

7 years ago

Tnank you very much! Well done! I cannot imagine my lessons w.o. your site!

7 years ago

thanks a lot... great site.. I'm from indonesia

7 years ago

Thank you for all your wonderful work! I love your site! You also have very friendly faces :¬)

7 years ago

hello. i am glad that joined a member of islcollective.com.
7 years ago

thank you...

7 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GIVING US THIS OPORTUNITY TO SHARE USEFUL THINGS AROUND THE WORLD....

YOU ARE A BLESS FOR US

THANK YOU SO MUCH.....

7 years ago
reply to Vronikg's post #60

Yesterday iSLCollective passed 400,000 members! :)

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #61

Wow! Thank you for this nice "education home"

7 years ago

Congratulation ISL.....love to be part of you :)

7 years ago

amaziiiing...congratulation ISL...
7 years ago

May god bless your team. Be rich and healthy and have a beaustiful -good woman beside you.

7 years ago

I wish to congratulate you all for a job well done. This is my favorite website for my teaching. I love this site so much. It made my teaching so easy and complete. Aside from having just exactly the right materials I need for my lessons, it is free to use.

I appreciate and thankful for giving us the right to use and share to our dear students. Thank you so much and more power to your team.

7 years ago

Congratulations on you and your whole team! This is truly the best website for educators I have ever come across! I wish you all the best and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart! It's great to be a member of this beautiful site!

Keep up the good work!

7 years ago

Teaching Tips

This week we'll be launching a new teaching material type called Teaching tips. Teaching tips are practical techniques, methods and principles that help language teachers teach better classes. Some common types of teaching tips are:

activities & games, icebreakers, warmers & coolers, discipline, promoting critical thinking & debating (argumentation), error correction techniques, mnemonics, memory techniques, time management, grading & testing, how to ask good questions, how to manage student projects, how to promote creativity & imagination in students, how to promote learner autonomy, etc.

You can simply type in and share your ideas, tips and experiences you learnt from other colleagues or invented yourself. In the screenshot above you can see our new text editor (already running in the forum), which will allows you to type in and neatly format your teaching tip.

The teaching tip editor will come in a new main menu called Create. Along with the Teaching tip creator, we will also introduce a new "headline" design (the upper section including the menus) for the site this week (let it be a surprise for now). :)

7 years ago
reply to Vronikg's post #60

You are really an amazing team. Blessed be for every word you are posting cause you are helping students reach the utmost of success and teachers to be confident that they are on the right track of teaching. I am looking forward to receiving your new packet- teaching tips.

Cordially,
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #61

I would like to express my gratefulness. I love isl.collective. The worksheets are really great and they work a lot. Thank you!!!

7 years ago

I am an ESL teacher in Chicago and I want to say THANK YOU for this website...Keep up the great work and you're work does not go unnoticed. In fact, my students benefit from it on a daily basis!!!!

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #69

That's really great!!... THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!! :)

7 years ago

thanks a lot.

7 years ago

how can I download this programme?

7 years ago

very good

7 years ago

New design and resource type tabs

Here it comes: the new "headline" design of the site is up and running! Hope you like it. :)
(Thx, Balint, for working over the weekend to finalize it!)

Resources type tabs
Besides the new look, one of the most visible changes we've made is the grouping of our various teaching material types into Printables (doc, docx files meant for printing for students) Projectables (ppt, pptx files meant for projecting onto a whiteboard) and Teaching Tips (meant for teachers to read online). Now you can search among the powerpoint files under Projectables, and by simply clicking on the Printables tab, you can run the same search to find Printables.

Worksheets ----> Resources
To reflect the broadening of our teaching resources, we renamed the main menu from Worksheets to Resources, since the term worksheet is not broad enough to cover all of our materials. We needed a general concept that encompasses printables, projectables, teaching tips, and soon: online exercises. Thus, we introduced Resources as the umbrella term to refer to the entirety of our teaching materials. We will still be talking about worksheets, but only in reference to printables, in accordance with the general lingo that uses worksheets, printables, and printable worksheets interchangeably.

Dropdown menus
We also introduced dropdown menus for the Resources and MyPage menus. With this improvement you can access, e.g. your iSL mail, with just one click. (If you are already in your MyPage, the dropdown window is inactive since the MyPage tabs are already visible. )

In case you find any bugs (which may happen with changes of this scope), please contact us at support [at] islcollective [dot]com, and we'll do our best to fix it ASAP.

In my next post I will be writing about the new teaching resource type we launched: Teaching Tips.

We hope you will find the changes useful and helpful! We appreciate if you reply to this post to give us some feedback!

Bless up,
Peter
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #85
I don't see any of the new stuff you mention in your message. I have trouble logging on. The top menu is one long list!
7 years ago
reply to Mulle's post #86
Hi!

Do you still encounter problems with login?

adam
7 years ago
reply to Mulle's post #86
Me neither. The top menu is on one long list. It's really confusing. I'd rather have the old one back.
7 years ago
reply to laszload's post #87
Yes! It is very messe and about to make me stop using the site. :-( It is a long list of content that only from time to time is accessible.
7 years ago
reply to Mulle's post #89
I had the same problem and just pressed the F5 button and everything became OK. (I use Chrome) Try it! Have a nice day!:-)))
7 years ago
thanks for all your effort dear isl team, the site is improving day by day!
7 years ago
Hi!

We told Balint to look after your problem personally!

adam
7 years ago
Thanks a lot the whole isl team for the new image of the sight! Have a nice day!
7 years ago
BHB BHB
Dear Mulle,

I'm a lead developer of this site, maybe I can help you. First of all, I'd like to ask everyone to use a web-compatible browser. The web environment is developing very rapidly, so the software have to be always the freshest one. There are new standards day by day and it is really necessary. How to do that? You can find your browsers in this article: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=175292
We have a plenty of plans about the site and developing needs new standards, s please refresh your browsers. Or change to Chrome, Firefox or Safari. The IE browsers under version 8 does not follow the web standards. If you use IE under version 9, it is time to download a newest one, or choose an other browser (recommended).

I'd be very happy to receive print screens to fix those bugs - now they remain hidden for me. Mulle, can you tell me more about the unaccessible contents?

thank you,
Balint
7 years ago
reply to BHB's post #95
Hi,
Wish I could tell you what the problem is/was. Today when I checked the site it seem normal again. Don't know what happened over night. I will make sure to do a screenprint if there is a next time.
thanks for takling time to answer my mail.
Gitte
7 years ago
reply to kissnetothedit's post #90
A miracle! The button F5 helped. Thanks a million!!!!! :)))))))
7 years ago
What a nice change! It seems much more practical this way, thanks a lot for your efforts!
7 years ago
Thanks to everyone on the islcollective team and to all the teachers that make all these wonderful materials to be used in class! You are all great and it is much appreciated!!! :-*
7 years ago
reply to giotoules's post #99
Thanks! :)
7 years ago
Sorry to bother you, but I have been trying to upload my worksheet for about an hour. Each time I see a message - check that your worksheet hasn't been uploaded already. It can't be, but anyway, I checked many times. Thanks for your reply.
7 years ago
reply to JuliaPal's post #102
Hi, can you please try again? The system is up and running. Others seem to have no difficulty uploading. Peter
7 years ago
thanks again for improving this great site dear Peter! I have a question: how can we make our ppt materials to be found with the new projectables search option?
7 years ago
reply to mobscene123's post #104
Hi! i've been trying to upload my worksheet and I can't! i can´t download either! can anybody tell what to do?
thanks!
7 years ago
reply to mary872's post #105
Sorry to hear that! Can you please save and send me a screenshot showing what you can see when download or upload is not possible? My email is laszlope [at] gmail [com]. Thanks, Peter
7 years ago
reply to mobscene123's post #104
Thanks a lot! :) Your powerpoints will be automatically listed in the Projectables section, as the system is clever and automatically recognizes ppt files. So you won't do anything extra when sharing your powerpoints. Bless up, Peter
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #107
Hi Peter, you are doing such a great job for us with this brilliant site. It was great seeing you on the fundraising clip. Is there any interview of you anywhere - how you came to set up the site/ a personal profile, or something like that?
Lynne
7 years ago
Actually, I haven't been interviewed about iSLCollective yet, but we may soon post another video in which we talk about our vision for the site.
7 years ago

Congratulations ISL team! You rock... I find very interesting the new site...
Thanks a lot and Blessings from Peru....
Luis

7 years ago
Greetings from Bosnia
7 years ago
BHB BHB
You may have noticed a glitch in the internal mailing that caused the paragraphs of your sent letters to be pulled together (without displaying the "line breaks" you used).
I've just fixed the problem, so now it's working again

Balint
7 years ago
Nice office. Now let's please work on why when I try to log in on one computer with my issued pw, I can't log in on another computer, with the EXACT same pw, even if I'm logged out on the other computer. Seriously, that is frustrating. I'm really tired of having to get a new pw issued every time I'm on the road and want to sign on with my laptop, and then have to do it all over again when I come home and want to sign on with my desktop, because for some reason, the system won't recognize both computers. Happens every time.
7 years ago
reply to kellia's post #122
Dear Kellia,

sorry to hear about your login problem. We'll do our best to find a solution for you ASAP. Balint will contact you first thing tomorrow morning and ask you some technical questions (e.g. about your browser) to get some leads on this issue.

Can you please send your email address to him (balint [dot] harangozo [at] islcollective [dot] com) so you can correspond smoothly even if you can't get in the site?

Bless up,
Peter
7 years ago
I saw other pictures ... The place is very beautiful and harmonious!! Success ... And Peter Balint!
7 years ago
That the success of this team is really expanded significantly ... For in my life you make a huge difference, I do not know what would become of my classes without the activities of this site!! A blessing for us teachers!! Thanks for everything!! I really want to continue to contribute to this project, but I haven't credit card, can I pay for bank slip?
7 years ago
This site is really great!!! I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago, but I have been using it ever since.

Greetings from Germany
7 years ago
Dear Colleagues!

This afternoon we've rolled out some new developments which we've been working on since June. We've focused on improving the site speed, and giving you a better experience searching and surfing on the site. (Thanks to Balint, our full-time coder). Let me give you an overview of what has changed, and what else is in store.

1. New main page

Since iSLCollective is about sharing teaching materials, we tried to better highlight our hosted resources and authors through:

a) Separate printable/projectable/teaching tip of the day, in a larger format, with the slider switching every 10 seconds;
b) Moving the "forum radar" containing the newest forum posts to the Forum menu;
c) the "Popular authors" listing which displays random popular contributors on every page load;
d) the "Newest" and "Most downloaded" sections.

You can always get back to the main page by clicking on the iSLCollective Logo.

2. "Tab" home pages

You can browse and search our resources using the 3 resource tabs: Printables (doc/docx materials meant to be printed), Projectables (ppt/pptx materials meant to be projected), Teaching tips (pedagogical tips meant for reading online). Each tab follows the same design, featuring resources from the tab that you are on.

3. List view/Tile view

Now you can choose from two views on search results pages:

a) List view
The existing list view has been given a white background for better contrast, and thus easier reading.

b) Tile view
This view is similar to how Youtube presents its hosted videos. Just a preview, the title, author and download count to give a quicker overview of the material.

The system is designed in a way so as to remember your preference while you're logged in, so once you select a view, it will be your default view until you change it.

You can always get back to the "tab homepage" by clicking on the House icon. The house icon is also a quick way to cancel your previous search filters, and start another brand new search.

4. Larger paging button

Speaks for itself. No longer will you need a magnifier glass to hit the button you want.

5. Format icons

Next to each resource you can see either a doc, a ppt or light bulb icon (for teaching tips).

6. Improved site speed

This was the largest chunk of task, which required an awful lot of work. Our code needed a major revamping as the site was starting to slow down. Therefore, we needed to rewrite from scratch the code that generates the results pages when you run a search. Also to this end, we maximized the number of results in 10 (in list view), and 12 (in tile view), which will help us economize on processing power and bandwidth (offseting this limitation, paging to the next page of results is, in turn, quicker). As far as we can see, search results now load noticeably faster. We hope you will also see the improvement.

7. Coming soon: Daily, weekly, all time toplists

It's already finished, but we're waiting for the system to gather data to compile new filtered toplists. At present you can only generate "All-time" resource toplists when you click on the "Most liked" and "Most downloaded" buttons. In two days, you will be able to browse the "daily" toplists, as well; two weeks from now the "weekly" toplists; and two months from now the "monthly" toplists. This will also affect the 'All-time most downloaded" section on the main page, which will be replaced with a "Most downloaded weekly" section to give you fresh content on a regular basis. (In a later post I will explain the method these lists, including the Printable, etc. of the day, are compiled/selected.)

We hope you will like these changes and the new look and feel of the site!

We'd appreciate to receive your feedback on what you like or dislike, or what other improvements you would like to see, and how fast the site is for you. Please comment on this post to share your feedback with us.

Üdvözlettel (Regards),
Peter, Adam, Bence and Balint
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #127
Dear Team,

Wonderful changes to the site- it's so much more user-friendly, elegant, and speedier. Thanks to everyone for all your hard work. Looking forward to further improvements.

kifissia
7 years ago
Very nice. Much more useful,beautiful and quicker. Thank you.
7 years ago
bravo ...! for ISLCollective , you are really my partner in teaching our students . Thank you very much
7 years ago
Hullo, I really liked the way we could surf your site with the column on the right showing ice breakers or simple present. Will it exist again? because now you have to be very precise to get a teaching tip on ice breakers for example. Up to now, it said: BROADEN YOUR RESEARCH!!
Thanks for your useful site
Kind regards
elisabeth
7 years ago
reply to Lizloz's post #132
Yes, they will come back, but the list of links has to be narrowed, because Google was punishing us for the large number of links, by ranking us lower in the search engine.
7 years ago
reply to Lizloz's post #132
The real problem here is that there are only about 20 teaching tips yet, so that's why search filters, like ice breakers bring up no results.
7 years ago
Thank you very much for your support.
7 years ago
Hi Peter, Adam, Bence and Balint!

Thank you so much for all your hard work. The site is much easier to use now.

I have one small suggestion, but if it is impossible or extremely difficult to do, don't worry.

For a long time now I have been thinking that, due to the nature of their worksheets (i.e. niche market, etc), many authors who haven't received vast amounts of downloads have nonetheless received a good percentage of likes. So, therefore, the most liked worksheets may simply be that because they have been on the website for a long time and naturally received many likes. But, when you work out the percentage of likes to downloads they don't match up so favourably to others.

It is possible to show an aggregate likes to downloads score for worksheets? This way I think you get a better picture of the quality of worksheets.

Just an idea and, as I say, it may not work.

Thank you once again for a fantastic and extremely helpful website.

Marg xx
7 years ago
reply to Marg's post #136
Hi Marg,

Thanks for your suggestion for improving the algorithm underlying the selection of the best worksheets.

If I understand you well, you suggest the fraction: total likes/downloads as a grading method. However, I couldn't follow your justification as to why this would work better than "Most liked" or "Most downloaded". Could you please clarify that a bit more for me?

Bless up,
Peter
7 years ago
USAGE TIP:
Did you notice that you can "page" the resources of the day slider with the left and right arrows on your keyboard?
7 years ago
USAGE TIP:
Did you know that if you just hit the GO button on a particular tab (e.g. Printables) on the upper green search field, without using any filters (e.g. Grammar), you will get a complete top list of those resources? When the list's loaded, you can also choose to reorder the list, e.g. by Newest to Oldest.
7 years ago
hi,
it was easy to see the desired topics on the right side of thr window.
regards lynx
7 years ago
The algorithm we use for selecting the Teaching tip of the day is: most views received in a day. We give each Teaching tip 24 hours to gather views. So let's say we want to compare the TT's of Aug 8. The views for a TT uploaded on Aug 8, 0:00 will be counted until Aug 9, 0:00, while the views for a TT uploaded on Aug 8, 24:00 will be counted until Aug 10, 24:00. This is in order to give each Teaching Tip uploaded on Aug 8 exactly 24 hours - in the spirit of Fair Play. That means we need two full days to measure the views collected on any given day. Therefore, the Teaching Tip of the day is the most viewed Teaching Tip of two days ago.

The logic is the same for the Printable of the day, and Projectable of the day.
7 years ago
NEW FEATURE:
I'm glad to announce that today we rolled out the first new time filters: All-time vs daily.

7 years ago
Tomorrow I'm going on holiday to Transylvania (Romania) for almost a week. Most famously home of dracula, Translylvania (means "Beyond the forests") was a part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy until 1920, and a lot of Hungarians live there to this day. So this trip for me is a little bit about getting in touch with history but also about hiking in beautiful mountains. This will be my first time, so I'm looking forward to it.

I don't think I will have internet access there. Balint will be back from vacation on Aug 22, so until then pls contact Adam with iSLCollective related stuff. I'll be back on Thursday, Aug 22.

Bless up,
Peter
7 years ago
Hi,

Firstly, love a lot of the new features, despite my being a pedant when it comes to finding my way around...grin.

I have a query, (sorry to be the moaning minnie), before I download anything I like to have a quick peek to ensure it is exactly what I need, rather than download it unnecessarily. I have noticed since the changes that when I click on the document, it no longer gives me a magnified version to look at.

Can you tell me if this is a permanent change or am I just ot seeing where to click in order to view the document? I would rather avoid unnecessary downloads if possible.

Many thanks and hope you enjoy Transylvania.

Jules
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #146
Wow! Transylvania! It sounds so romantic, mystical. Definitely on my list. Have a wonderful holiday Peter. Watch out for bats, though! iSLC is great.
7 years ago
HI! My request/question is the same as lucyanya.

I always liked to view the page in a larger form before downloading it. Helps a lot to not DL ws that I don't want. Am I missing how to view this larger? If not, can this function be brought back. It was VERY important time saver for me.

Thanks!
7 years ago
Hi Peter & all! I've seen all the big improvements which have been made so far - & I'm really pleased with all of them! Despite the fact that - within the two past days, my page has "moved" a little , & my comments & messages are not as clear as they used to be. I'm using IE , & I'm not worried ;-))))) I know you TEAM are doing a great job, & I thank you ALL for this!!! The "new" site is much better, & I love it!!! Thank you for making our job easier, & thank you - again - for such a wonderful site!! I haven't uploaded much these days, but I'll soon be back at work, & will try to help as much as I can.... Sending big hugs to the ISL Team for their fantastic job! Sylvie
7 years ago
reply to kimberle88's post #150
Hi there, we know larger previews are important, but we had to take it off temporarily for technical reasons.
It will come back shortly.
7 years ago
On Tuesday, September 2, 2013 we rolled out some new features. We hope you'll find them useful.
  • Instead of 8, now there are 12 resources displayed in each section on the main page.
  • The main page section "Most downloaded", which was an all-time top list changed to "Most downloaded weekly" to give you fresh content every week. Here you'll find the best shared resources from two weeks ago.
  • New time filters are available on search results pages to narrow your searches. Please note that the daily lists represent uploads from two days ago, the weekly filters include teaching materials from two weeks ago, and the monthly filters from two months ago (to be able to measure the downloads received by every single upload for the same amount of time).
  • We created a new section for the main page: Random resources (selected from among materials with at least 100 received downloads (views for teaching tips)
  • We improved the popular authors section so as to only diplay relevant authors on a given iSLCollective platform, e.g. only German authors on the German section.
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #157
The above changes look fantastic. However, I am writing to inquire as to why when I download a sheet I am not able to see the visuals? I have tried at least five different worksheets and I usually get only the print but not the pictures. Is there something I need to do with my settings?

Thank You for your time.
7 years ago
Hi! I've got the same problem as Oceanalm :(
7 years ago
reply to morewk's post #159
Sorry, I'm not quite clear on what you mean by "visuals" vs text. Do you mean you open the downloaded file in Word, and it looks different than the preview?
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #160
Hi! I've downloaded the last worksheet (kissnatothedit). When I open the Word document, I cannot see the image (the whole page is an Image inserted)
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #160
And now I've downloaded a different one and I can see the whole text but no the images. That's so weird, isn't it?
7 years ago
help! I'm not very tech saavy and when I try to download any ws from your site, all I see is a blue page. What am I doing wrong? thank you very much.
7 years ago
reply to morewk's post #162
I see, yes that sounds weird. We need to see the specific worksheets you're mentioning. Could you post here the URLs of these worksheets?
7 years ago
reply to honeycat's post #163
Can you please send a screenshot to balint [dot] harangozo [at] islcollective [dot] com? That would be a good start to investigating your problem.
7 years ago
Another new feature: We replaced the tags on the resource "end" pages with hyperlinks that point to result lists for the specific key word, equivalent to running a search on that key word. Hopefully, it will make it easier for you to find similar resources with just a click of a button.
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #167
Peter.... this new feature is veeeeeeeryyyyy useful! Thanks A LOT
7 years ago
Thanks for all your work! I am new so I dont know who all is helping develop this site but thanks to all of you!

Can anyone give direction to whom to contact about donating some materials. All mine are html not word. I recently strted to use libre office (Im a linux user) But most everything I have done is html. Not sure how that works when I see everything as doc files.

Thanks Loyal Jongrak
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #167
Dear colleague, I don't know exactly what's happening, because I can't reach the material I need.
How can access " either/neither"? i need it urgently. Please send me directions for it.

The Isl has changed indeed!
Thanks in advance.

Lúcia - Brazil
[email protected]
[email protected]
7 years ago

HALF A MILLION USERS!

Today we reached half a million members on iSLCollective.com. Hope you all benefit from the site! :)

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #172
Wow! In 4 short years from zero to half a million! Nothing short of amazing! We contributors are so grateful to the team who run the site for its ever evolving state- moving from strength to strength- and of course, for the opportunity to avail ourselves of wonderful material from teachers worldwide. This is also a special community of like minded individuals- who enjoy meeting people from all over the globe to chat and share our materials with. Here's to the first million!
7 years ago

Thanks Peter, Adam and all the ISLCollective team for this great contribution!!!!
Many thanks to all the members of ISLCollective (half a million members)!!!!!
Many thanks to all those who download my worksheets and leave me very beautiful comments!
Thanks ISLCollective ! Thanks to you, I have now a lot of great friends!!!

7 years ago
congratulations!, just joined this site myself and uploaded my first worksheet. got tons of help from you guys!thankyou so much for that!
7 years ago
EAL EAL
That's great news.

I teach 1:1 in a Secondary school in the UK: both EAL and SEN students. The fact that I can adapt the worksheets and tailor them to different levels of ability is what makes this site so valuable to me.

I love the redesign, but I do miss the facility of being able to hover over a worksheet to magnify it so that I can see quickly whether I want to use it. Now I have to download it to see. PLEA: Could we have the 'hover facility' back?

Keep up the excellent work. Don't know how I'd have managed my first year teaching without you!

Thank you.
7 years ago
reply to EAL's post #176
Hi, thanks! The larger preview we'll bring back soon.
Peter
7 years ago
I am glad to announce that we brought back the larger preview function. Click on the worksheet preview on the worksheet page (the page with the download button) to enlarge the preview. See screenshot below.

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #179

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU SO, SO, SO, SO MUCH
:D

7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #179
The bigger view pops up but goes behind the main part of the screen. I can only see the left third of the document.

By the way, THANK YOU so much for all the work on this site. I love all the worksheets and projectables and consistently use them for various classes. Thank you too to all the great teachers around the world that contribute to this site.
7 years ago
reply to jann's post #181
I think if you do a ctrl F5 (refresh the page), it will be OK.
7 years ago
Bravo for the preview!
7 years ago
7 years ago

Hi , I need help. I just found your site and it's great as I just started teaching English. However, when I log in, it asks me to fill in a box to show that I'm not spam. However, it won't let me flll in the box because the page doesnt' load it. If i can't fill in the box, I can't download the pages. The green download box won't appear. I was d/l last night and it was fine then after about 10 d/l's, it started to pop up the spam boxes.

Please help!!!!! I'm trying to plan for my classes but really need the resources.

Thanks
7 years ago
Hi there!
That's about being a member of this wonderful site : Ie = Sharing!!! If you are into trouble, and logged in for the very first time - could you - please ..- be patient enough to allow the wonderful people here to work .... for you ??
Thank you for your patience,
& for your sharing spirit!
Sylvie
7 years ago
Around 2 pm CET we implemented a major update of our database to speed up iSLCollective. The site was turned off for about 20 minutes. The update was successful. We hope you will see faster loading times as a result!

Please note that in some older browsers you may have to click F5 on your keyboard to refresh the page.
You can click here to check whether your browser is up-to-date.

Peter
7 years ago

THE NEW UPLOAD MENU

You may have noticed something looks different on the site. We decided to change the main menu a bit. We've done away with the CREATE menu because a lot of members were misunderstanding it. (As a side-effect, with one fewer main menus, the size of the menus grew larger, too.) Although the caption on the page said: "Do not use this form to upload files, only type in teaching tips", many people still used it mistakenly to upload worksheets. It took me too much time to communicate to these members, and remove those - basically empty - teaching tips from the list.

To clear up the confusion, we came up with this idea: we merged the two options under the UPLOAD menu (whose name I changed back from SHARE on the advice of PhilipR) to make the authors think more consciously about what type of resource they want to share. Now there are two submenus:

1. Upload a doc(x) or ppt(x) file
Your upload will automatically be categorised as a Printable (doc, docx) or a Projectable (powerpoint files: ppt, pptx). You can find the same divisions in your MyPage.

2. Type in a teaching tip
Most importantly, these are not file uploads. These are short tips that you type in, i.e. create right there and then.

Teaching tips or teaching ideas are hands-on, didactic techniques and principles, little tricks and game ideas that help language teachers teach better; practical methods that have been distilled through years or decades of experience, often passed on from one generation of teachers to the next.

You can either save them as "draft", if you're not finished typing them. Draft versions are not published. When you're done, you can go back to the upload form of the teaching tip, publish your tip for everyone to see.
I hope this change will result in better quality teaching tips. I encourage everybody to type up and share your game ideas, icebreakers, time management tips, ideas on mnemonics, how to motivate students or fill an unplanned for 10 minutes at the end of the class, and so on. I think if we can gather a nice collection of these ideas, that could be just as valuable a teaching resource as printable, downloadable worksheets.

Bless up,
Peter
7 years ago

NEW FUNCTION:
SHARE USAGE TIPS FOR OTHERS' UPLOADS

We rolled out a new function: Usage tips. If you have used a specific material from iSLCollective.com, and you liked it or use it repeatedly, I encourage you to check back to the page of that material and share your experience with it in the form of a "usage tip".

What are usage tips
Usage tips are practical hints for others who plan to use the same material as to how your class went, how to plan a lesson around that resource, any follow up ideas for the lesson, timing hints, and any potential pitfalls to keep in mind.

How to share usage tips
Check the box above the comment field (see screenshot above), and post your comment. It will show up under a new heading: Usage tips, right above the other comments.

I'm excited to get some usage tips on my own resources, because it will give me a rare chance to see how other teachers around the world actually use my work and benefit from it. Besides, it's also a chance for all the colleagues who haven't uploaded resources here to add to this knowledge pool in their own ways, since it is easy for anybody to tell how their classes went, and explain how they used a material.

Enjoy sharing!
Peter
7 years ago

NEW THANK YOU BUTTON

As I promised, following up on the discussion with Morewk, we created a new Thank you! button, and placed it right where it belongs: next to the Download button (see screenshot below). Also, the caption is different for our various platforms: Merci, Vielen Dank, etc. In turn, we had to move the Edit button (only visible to the author) to the bottom right corner of the preview. Let me know how you like it. I hope our colleagues will find the button more easily now, and use it even when in a rush.

Also, let me grab this opportunity again to remind our members that our ecosystem of give and take is built on sharing on the one hand, but also on those on the benefiting end giving appreciation and paying their thank you's to the authors. This is not a torrent site, where the norm is for users to take anonymously. This is a site which hosts the fruits of the hard work of teachers who create these resources after class hours and share it with you at no cost. So let's all be thankful to them, and encourage them in our own little ways to keep sharing with the world.

Bless up,
Peter

7 years ago
Bravo! It's VERY visible now. Thanks a lot!
7 years ago
Usage Tips.
Hi, Peter!
I have just tried this new function ( on one of Herber's great PPTs..) , but noticed no changes - Maybe I did something wrong ..? I think it is a great idea, & just wanted to .. "try" ..!
No other message appeared on the page....
Not complaining, right ? Just telling you about it.
+....I DO thank you about the message you've wriiten : It's nice - & important ..- to say THANK YOU ( at least!)
when you download ws from here : this is not a .. " torrent". There are people "behind" ws, & the least we can do is to say : thank you!
I DO appreciate! ;-)))
About usage tips, maybe I did something wrong ??? I'll try later on next week, & will let you know...
Many thanks for the great improvements....
Sylvie
7 years ago
reply to liette's post #213
Hi, let me check it and get back to you soon. Peter
7 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #211
Much better now! it's pratical and visible. No excuse for not saying "thank you" to all those that are helping us with their great work.

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!