9 years ago
I don't know what the real name for my suggestion is, maybe it's a silly one, bue could it be possible to add a new classification in vocabulary for COMPUTERS/TECHNOLOGY since it's a topic which is becoming more an more iimportant at school and second, in material type, there's no tag for ppt. do you think it could be interesting to have a specific tag for it? When I send a ppt I don't know where to include it. Are they stupid suggestions,? Forgot them it's just in case...

I LOVE THIS SITE, THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS & DOWNLOADS! Hugs, Gloria
9 years ago
reply to gloenglish's post #1
Hi Gloria,

It's a great suggestion. I added "Computers & Technology."

It takes about 10 seconds for me to add a new search category item, so pls feel free to suggest new items any time.

9 years ago
Thanks so very much for creating and maintaining this wonderful site!

I don't know anything about technology so maybe it isn't possible, but I am wondering if there is a way to enlarge the pictures of people's files before downloading them. I have downloaded many files just so I can see what they are about, and then end up deleting them. Not a real problem but it would save everyone a little time by avoiding downloads of files that aren't useful to some.

Thanks again!

9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #2
How nice & efficient you are! Thanks a lot! Have a nice day! Gloria
9 years ago
reply to MaryMaryMary's post #3
Have you tried clicking on the preview? It enlarges the preview a bit.
9 years ago
reply to laszload's post #5
No, actually I didn't know that by clicking again it would enlarge it. That does help a bit -- thanks. Another suggestion, or question: Would there be any way of allowing all the pages of a file to be previewed without downloading the file? Mary

P.S. Sorry to have uploaded that BIG flag in the "upload picture". I thought my ID pic hadn't registered and that was what was being asked for... :(
9 years ago
Hello! =)

My name is Fernanda. I am a young Brazilian teacher, 24, and I would like to say that this site is awesome, marvelous and other great adjectives! lol.... Thanks for supporting this one! Big hugs for all of you that are helping me in some way!!!! Brazilian hugs!

9 years ago
reply to MaryMaryMary's post #6
Hi There, sure it's useful and possible. I'll add this suggestion to our list. I can't say when we could implement it, because we have a number of developments lined up, but we will get to it sooner or later.
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #8
HI, THERE! have you heard of this webpage

http://www.agendaweb.org/

it also has lots of sections with online graded exercises, reading activities, videos, grammar exercises, etc. I used it with my students last year and they liked most of the activities. Just have a look! I hope it's useful. Have a nice weekend! Gloria
9 years ago
reply to gloenglish's post #9
thank u very much for sharing this link,

i liked it really, & i'll try to use this page with my learners! :)
9 years ago
Hello everyone:-),

I decided to share not only my worksheets but some links as well, I am going to start with one of my favourite ones, maybe someone has already listed it in here, but still www.breakingnewsenglish.com is a great site where there are hundreds of lessons prepared for you. All you need is to pick a topic you like, download a 13-page handout and an mp3 listening file and you have got a programme for almost whole lesson. Besides, you will find links to other great sources on this site (such as business english lessons, one-minute-listenings etc.)

9 years ago
Another tip of mine: www.english-online.at

9 years ago
reply to sariyse's post #12
Englishmes is also a very good site.Check it because it's worth!
9 years ago
Hi, Peter

another suggestion: why don't you add a separate tag for the past simple? It isn't that important, but now it goes with the past continuous and I think we probably prepare more activities to practise the past simple than the continuous, don't we?

Thanks in advance! Gloria
9 years ago
Yes, I agree with Gloria. You should add a tag with the past simple, then the past simple and the past continuous, because me for example, I teach both pasts together.
9 years ago
reply to gloenglish's post #14
Hi there,

"Past simple" and "Past Continuous" added!
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #16
Thank you Peter!
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #16
Thanks, Peter. have a nice day! Gloria
9 years ago
Another suggestion for a new search: worksheets in black and white and worksheets in colour. Could it be possible? Thanks
9 years ago
reply to susana1974's post #19
Thx for the idea, but I think it would not be so useful, since you can set your printer to print color worksheets in B&W. In case the color ws would use to much ink, with minimal editing, you can make it "whiter" so as to use less ink. What do you guys think?
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #20
yes admin, that's it. :)
9 years ago
reply to susana1974's post #19
Hi Susana :)

Personally I think it's not useful :)

You know dear, coz whenever I tried to use this new search I'll be provided with plenty & plenty of sheets which are not ordered, i.e a mess of titles.. Worksheets in color, others in black & white: This criteria is not helpful really.

I think it's better to keep trying the actual search (level, topic, grammatical point, ... etc)

I hope my idea is clear :)

Have a nice day!
9 years ago
reply to jamila's post #22
CORRECTION: coz whenever I TRY* to use... :)

9 years ago
I sometimes have separate documents that I would like to upload together.

For example: a handout in .doc format (that I can print out and give to the students, then they can finish the work at home if needed) and the solution in .ppt format, that I show in class.

Is that possible?
9 years ago
reply to sakura's post #24
Hi Sakura,

Thx for the idea. I've had something similar in mind. I was thinking of connecting worksheets that make up a series, e.g. my adjective+preposition worksheets and showing them as "related worksheets." I think your idea is essentially of the same vein. It's on my list of necessary developments.

Peter

9 years ago
Hi Jamila,

I see that my idea wasn't so good, but I thought it was possible to keep the other criteria and at the same time to make that separation. I want everything..! ;) Anyway, it's just because at my school there aren't many resources and one of the frirst things they said the first day was: Try not to spend many coloured printables!

Thanks for your answer

Susana
9 years ago
reply to susana1974's post #26
Hello Susana,

You are welcome dear,

It's the same in my school, too. They do never print colored worksheets!

I just print a colored copy, then I take it to them to print the number I requested, W&B of course!!

And whenever I need colored pictures or flash cards, which I usually pin on the board ( 1 copy for all the class ) I simply print it myself! coz it's not expensive and I use it with different classes, and keep it in my file for years.

I try to make efficient things from modest material, I should adapt to make it successful!

Good night, :)
9 years ago
Hi Peter!

What about adding 2 new search categories to the vocabulary focus list:

1- Charity & Voluntary Work

2- Maps & geographical locations

If they seem to be useful :)

Thank you!

Thanks!
9 years ago
Hi Peter!

What about adding 2 new search categories to the vocabulary focus list:

1- Charity & Voluntary Work

2- Maps & geographical locations

If they seem to be useful :)

Thank you!
9 years ago
This is me! but I dont know what happened exactly!!!

It seems that I had an error! maybe...
9 years ago
This is me!!
9 years ago
reply to jamila's post #31
Excuse me all! something wrong is happening!

I've already posted a suggestion to the admin, but it was anonymous with Argentina flag o.O!!

This "strange" post even refuses my reply, not only my name!!!

Can have an explanation for that????
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #25
Hey everybody:

I just can't understand how can a member have more tha 100 downloads and just 2 likes?

Is very sad.

If you download a WS, please, leave a TKS!

Is so hard to click the hand ?

I'm very sad.

And I'm sorry if this is not the place where to write.

Please, girls and boys. Let help each other....... : (
9 years ago
Ups, is not for you Kisdobos's. Sorry !!
9 years ago
reply to jamila's post #32
We are looking into it.
9 years ago
reply to conkoydia's post #33
Hi there,

I guess downloading doesn't necessarily mean wanting to use the worksheet. That's because previews are too small to have a proper look at what we've got, the only way to see it is downloading it..

Having seen the survey on the right hand side i suppose this problem will be soon dealt with :)

btw I always click on like and say thanks when i come across something i can incorporate into my teaching

Best
9 years ago
reply to melindamakkos's post #37
Speaking of preview sizes, did you guys notice that if you click on a ws preview on the ws page, you get a full screen preview?
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #38
Hello,

In fact the size becomes 4 times larger, but it's not a full screen one :(

also, the hidden pages related to the same ws can never be previewed, unless we download it.

I think it's better to show them, or at least show how many they are.

I hope you make it possible, colleague!
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #38
yep, but as Jamila's just said it doesn't become a full screen one, on my screen they're usually too small to read. not to mention the additional pages...

however, i love the site and appreciate all your efforts to make it even better :)
9 years ago
reply to conkoydia's post #33
Don´t worry people is like this, one of my ws has 220 downloads and just 1 like xD; just think that anyway, it was helpful for all of them and you made it for that purpose, so feel proud :)
9 years ago
reply to gloenglish's post #1
Hi, Peter

I've got some new suggestions: Why don't you add a separate have got in the grammar section? Thanks! Have a nice day!

Gloria
9 years ago
I have come across many worksheets with huge grammar mistakes! Please dear teachers remember to skim your work before uploading it. I understand that many of you are not graduated teachers and that some just teach as a hobby, but take into consideration your students' future performance depends on you.
9 years ago
Hi, Peter
May I suggest a few more tags to be added: brainteasers, confusing words, crime and law, humour, newspaper English and synonyms?
Thanks
9 years ago
Another suggestion:
could we create "links" between worksheets? A bit like youtube where you can post a video in response to another one.
Thus, if someone uses a worksheet and alters it, or if they create a ws on the exact same subject, but with a different approach, people could easily find the related worksheets and choose the one that suits them best.
9 years ago
Hi, Peter
I guess you must have been upset with the abusive language used by some of the members and now you are facing an uploading problem. However, I would like to hear your reply to my suggestion for adding some new tags (newspaper English, brainteasers, confusing words, crime and law, humour and synonyms). A simple yes/no will do.
Thanks, Gordana
9 years ago
reply to latsa67's post #46
Hi Gordana, I added the new categories. (I changed the wording for some of them.)
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #47
Thanks! :)
Gordana
9 years ago
Don't you think it could be a good idea if we could add other types of fies, such as PDF, not only word and powerpoint? I understand that it would limit the possibility to edit them, but on the other hand it would add possibility of using special fonts, not only the ones installed in windows already. I'm talking mostly about dotted font for teaching literacy and writing.
9 years ago
Hi GoshC; Maybe I'm not the right person to answer you but if this may help you, what I do it's to make an image of the word you want to add in a different font and then copy-paste in the document. It's what I do and it works!!
9 years ago
reply to GoshC's post #49
Hi GoshC! Thanks for the suggestion! We've considered PDF, but dismissed the idea on grounds of its insufficient editing capabilities. We regard editability of utmost importance, even at the expense of formatting and design, so that teachers can tailor the worksheets to their particular needs. However, we're considering odt for Open Office, which is another common editable format. But if you can suggest other editable formats, it will be considered.
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #51
I agree with Peter about the PDF files. They're much too rigid and not editable.

As far as ODT is concerned, I don't see any need either since Open Office can open and save any document in DOC format. On the other hand, MS Word cannot read ODT documents. I think it would limit rather than promote sharing.
9 years ago
reply to PhilipR's post #52
That's a valid point about ODT.
9 years ago
I want to say I think this site is very useful, but still quite rough. I think the categorization needs a pretty big overhaul. Here are some suggestions

1. I think the easiest way to make a big change would be to make the search criteria able to search multiple items in the same category (possible implementation: check boxes). This can also bring in the choice to include two or more attributes in the same worksheet. (i.e. past + frequency)
2. Provide an explanation of the search and upload criteria when uploading or on the home page so that everyone is on the same page as to what the specifics are and can find materials more easily.
3. There needs to be better control over the attributes associated with the search categories. For example, when searching for activities I see many worksheets. There needs to be more admin support to filter through the worksheet criteria and make decisions and alterations to materials search criteria that have incorrect, over-, or under- applied attributes. This could also be through user support. Users could help alert admins of improperly tagged materials.
4. The quick search sidebar has a huge jumble of words and if you don't know what word to look for, it may not be so useful. Common searches might be more helpful.

I believe this site has a huge potential, but I have found that it takes less time and I would rather look through a picture dictionary for lesson ideas and materials than try to filter through all the materials here. The search and upload criteria need more streamlining.
9 years ago
reply to toast's post #54
Thanks for the suggestions.

1. you can do a combined search if you type in your search terms in the search field

2. If you can ask specific questions as to what info you need related to search or upload, I can include it in the FAQ

3. I don't think any UGC sites allow users to re-tag uploads of others. I think it would just over-complicate things

4. I suggest using the search menus or typing in the the search field.

Peter
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #55
Peter,

I appreciate your eagerness to solve my problems, but I wasn't looking for help with searches. I was trying to suggest ways to improve the look and maneuverability of the site. I'm sorry if it might have come off a little harsh.

In answer to your suggestion, Why would you provide all the different search fields if I am expected to just use a single text search field? Also, I know you might want to answer any questions I have personally about search field categories, and mostly they are self explanatory, but since many of the results I get seem to be mismatched, I was suggesting a way to improve the clarity of the categories for all users, because even if I understand your explanation of the categories, those who have uploaded to the wrong category will still show up on my searches incorrectly.

Thanks again,

Nick
9 years ago
Hi Nick,

Don't get me wrong, we do appreciate your suggestions. We are aware that the search results have a major shortcoming. The main reason for this is that our engine cannot handle search terms in quotes or with an AND relationship, e.g. if you type in: infinitive gerund, you will get infinitive OR gerund worksheets in order of their likes, for example, instead of only those worksheets tagged with both descriptors. So the real problem derives not from authors mis-tagging worksheets, but from the shortcomings of our search engine algorithm. Therefore, the entire search engine has to be improved to correct this, with your suggestion perhaps as part of the solution. We're working on it as our time allows. I hope sooner than later. Thanks for your ideas, Peter
9 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #58
Peter,

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear that I can make a difference. It's good to hear such dedicated and honest words from you guys. I hoped my input helped.

One search and upload site that I find to be really top notch as far as user content is concerned comes from deviantart.com. Their search fields are obviously going to be different, but their interface might be something to check out. I know you guys are doing the best you can, and I really admire your drive and dedication to the site. Anyway, take care, and thanks again for your considerations.

-Nick
9 years ago
I don't think the likes are very reasonable and true. For example, if a WS has been downloaded 1,000 times and gets 10 likes, it seems to me that not too many people liked the worksheet. On the other hand, if a worksheet has received 5 likes and has been downloaded 20 times, it seems to me that more people liked the worksheet more than the one that received the most hits. So, wouldn't it be reasonable to change the like system to something that reflects the true percentage of people liking it? Just a thought.
9 years ago
reply to foose2's post #60
I think to actually like a ws you should download it and use it. I think now most members click the Like button as they download it - probably before evening opening the document. I suppose the preview gives you a pretty good of what toe expect.

BTW, I don't think any system would be perfect. For example, what if a ws gets 1 download and 1 Like - should it be at the top of the list? I think the number of downloads is a better reflection of popularity and quality.
9 years ago
If a ws gets one like and one download, then the ws would get 100 percent likes. What's wrong with that? It will. eventually work out in the wash and I would get a better idea on which ws are better.
9 years ago
reply to PhilipR's post #61
If you go back to likes and go down the list you will clearly find that there are some really nice work sheets with 41 likes and 665 downloads. 41/665 = 6.1 percent versus a ws at 267 likes and 6702 downloads. percent = 267/7602 = 3.98 pnercent. The ws with 6.1 percent definitely is much better. I would suggest going through the data first before deciding. It is how I have been selecting ws on this site and something I once used on one of the my old websites. Joh
9 years ago
reply to foose2's post #62
Ideally I would think that teachers would 'like' a worksheet once they have used it with their students. However, can we expect busy teachers to find the time to revisit this page to do that? Similarly.... what do we actually 'like'? To some it maybe the layout, to others... the clipart.... and to some the activity itself (which I think is the most important of all) but we have no way of knowing why an individual 'liked' a ws. Maybe... we could 'recommend' maybe that will be more objective.... but who knows.... bottom line ... I will not let the number of 'likes' be an indicator for me as to the quality of the ws.
9 years ago
What about instead of a like button, it was a button that would add the worksheet to a quick access area in "My Page"

Teachers might be more likely to index the worksheets they like for easy access, and it would not take the extra step to like the worksheet separately.
9 years ago
now that would be lovely.
to have easy access to the worksheets I've liked (or indexed)

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!