8 years ago
What is this sites stance on members use of watermarked clipart and their use of layouts and clipart taken from other members work. I just want to to know so that I could make an informed decision as to if I am going to continue contributing to this site. Thanks

P.S. I asked because I see a ppt in todays circulation that is 'guilty' of both.
8 years ago
reply to islandgirl's post #1
Hi Islandgirl!
I am glad you asked that question, because when I use templates I usually refer who the author is.
About your second question: watermark cliparts or cliparts that are not own by some members I believe their work should be removed.
This evening a member has used two of my creations - texts and included in his /her ppt without my persmission. I have already sent a message to the owners of this site hoping for a reply. This is not the first time that my work is stolen.
I am reconsidering my presence in this site.....
So in my humble opinion there should be someone here in charge of reporting these matters.

Best wishes to all members.

Patrialusitana.
8 years ago
reply to PATRIALUSITANA's post #2
Hi Patrialusitana. I removed the infringing worksheet containing your text.

Texts written by another author and from another worksheet, like in your case, can be used if the author gives permission. Permission has not been given by you, so I removed the reported worksheet.

We want to avoid litigation with clipart copyright owners, so watermarked cliparts should not be used in worksheets.

Copyright reports involving templates are judged on a case by case basis, e.g. a simple rectangle frame cannot be copyright violation, but complex and clearly recognizable designs are accepted as "own" designs and the infringing worksheet is removed.

Please report suspected copyright violations, e.g. the one referred to by islandgirl, and as usual, infringing worksheets will be removed immediately after we've investigated the case involving comparison of the two worksheets.

I hope this answers your questions. If you need to discuss this further, please feel free to write to me.

Bless up,
Peter
8 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #7
Hi Peter!

Thanks for your quick reply.
As far as using templates from other people, I usually mention their names and say thank you. Most of them are also members of ESLPRINTABLES.

Once again thanks for your help and keep the good work with this wonderful site!

God Bless you! Greetings from Sunny and very hot Portugal!

Patrialusitana.
8 years ago
reply to Kisdobos's post #7
Hi Kidobos!
Talking about some members downloading other authors' worksheets and then re-utilizing designs or layouts of the latter without any permission (as mentioned by Islandgirl and Patrialusitana), I would suggest enabling PDF document for uploading - that would make copying a bit harder and therefore would help protect "intellectual property" of the authors. Well, at least to certain point ;) I personally would prefer uploading PDF documents...
Liliya B
8 years ago
Liliya, What I have done is to convert my ws to PDF... then save it as a JPEG finally, create a word doc... using the jpeg image....
8 years ago
This idea of PDF files has been discussed already. The problem with PDFs is that they cannot be edited or adapted to one's needs and are thus unsuitable for a sharing website like this one. Members should be able to change worksheets to make them suitable for their classroom.

I think we should stick to Word, and in particular the DOC format to reach as big an audience as possible (not everyone can read/edit the DOCX format).
8 years ago
reply to PhilipR's post #13
Yes, the idea that a Word document would be the same on every computer sounds great, but without the option of editability, pdf is an inferior format to doc for our purposes. Worksheets need to be edited since they may contain typos, or words too difficult for your class, etc.

We also support the docx format because you can simply download a compatibility pack for older Word versions to allow them to read docx. It works fine on my PC, never had any problems with it. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466.

Bless up,
Peter

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!