8 years ago
Dear teachers, I have faced a problem in my classroom and I would like to hear some of your pieces of advice. I am teaching at foreign language courses. We have 4-6 kids in a classroom. The course is communicative and I introduce it via various games. I even teach kids as a witch in a costume and they are all little wizards and witches. But there is one kids who I fail to control. He does not listen to adults, his mom doen`t know how to calm him down, he is hyperactive. I have to hold him the whole class, if I do not do that he is running aroung for 60 minutes, he is breaking my computes, he is tearing all the worksheets and books. The parents (who also fail to control the kid) say it is up to me to calm him down, they tiold me to eliminate all the games and songs and anything that can excite him. How do I keep to my game style and still control the kid? I tried the reward-punishing sticker-fine system, I tried to make him my assistant but he just can`t stay with me for more than 2 minutes. Looking forward to hearing from you! Thank you very much!
8 years ago
reply to BrokenValkyrie's post #1
Give him a slap, that should work. Oh and it might be a good idea to the parents one too. Seriously though he needs discipline. Why should one kid ruin your lessons or make you change something which is clearly popular with the majority. The parents of this kid clearly have a problem disciplining their child, they'll probably appreciate you yelling at him. They are most probably too weak to do it themselves. Also, something I've noticed is that badly behaved students don't tell their parents if their teacher yelled at them as they know the parent will want to find out more info. Go for it, child need boundaries.
8 years ago
Well, I'm not very good at controlling kids myself, but I can say that I completely agree with karl83 (Maybe just don't really slap him, ok? haha). You shouldn't change anything about your class if it works with everyone else but him. You already tried to be nice and get him assisting you, now it's time to be rigid. He'll miss the times when you were giving him attention. What bothers me the most about this kind of student is that their parents are just as bad as them. They never really do their job and expect US to tame their kids! I wish I could be helpful, I can relate to you and I face this same problem every now and then. Any more experienced teachers bother to give us a hand? haha
8 years ago
reply to BrokenValkyrie's post #1
My advice is to take the kid out of the class. Evidently he is not ready to be in a collective learning group. I've had sudents like tha as well and by the thid class I told the parents that if they waned lessons for their son they had to be one on one lessons because this child was not ready. If the parents can't accept that then maybe they should look elsewhere for classes for their son. I is not your job to babysit and discpline, and it's not fair to all the other kids in the class and their parents. This child sounds like an ADHD case and his parens should have him evaluated. Best of luck and remember you are there to teach not parent! (it's too bad that these days parents demand the the teachers to be superteachers)
8 years ago
If you have to spend the entire class physically holding this child to prevent him from damaging your equipment, then I think you should ask for him to be removed from the class. He should be assessed. He's not just naughty, there is something wrong. Perhaps he needs treatment for ADHD.

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!