8 years ago
So...I have to do a lesson about "complaining". Last week we went through complaining at a restaurant. I wat to do something funner -- so I was thinking about using "Welcome To My Life" by simple plan, for dealing with complaints about life...(Mainly I just want to do something more interesting -- I have a 4 classes of 40 17 year old boys in a technical highschool who don't really want to learn english)

Any tips or ideas you can give me about using the song? Or do you think it's a terrible idea??

thanks in advance
8 years ago
reply to charsonicwu's post #1
Hi,
Using a song is a good and clever choice.'Welcome to my life' is a very beautiful song and your students will certainly love it.You can propose a sort of warm up at the beginning.let your students ,for example, talk about things they don't like in their life as teens and try to focus on their relationship with parents and adults in general. You can even give them two diagrams to fill in with adjectives youths and adults use to describe each other's views and behaviours like (immature, authoritarian, nosy, mean, old-fashioned, rebelious, intolerant, adventurous, strong-headed, undemocratic, thoughtless, disobedient, bossy, careless, untidy, obstinate, severe,etc.) You can write these adjectives on the board and let them choose.Then you can move to the second stage in which you give your students the song and make them listen and fill in the gaps.In the third and last stage, you ask your students to speak about the singer's complaints. Before doing this,it's advisable to write some expressions of complaining on the board to help the students formulate correct sentences.Wish you all the best!!
James33
8 years ago
reply to james33's post #2
Thanks for your tip! A wonderful song for teens and lots of things we can discuss!
8 years ago
reply to james33's post #2
Hey,
Thanks so much for the tips! Will definitely try them out!!

You're not a member yet.
Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ?
You're not a member yet.
Congrats, you're now a member here, too. :) Please wait until page is refreshed!