By Greenwood Academy
Birmingham, United Kingdom
What we need
We want someone who believes that no student should be held back by their economic background and who is passionate about literature and delivering the very best knowledge to our pupils. The successful candidate will play a leading role across the department, ensuring that teaching and learning remains the very best it can be and someone who is invested in developing their own subject knowledge and teaching pedagogy, as well as that of others.
We are looking for an individual committed to being an excellent classroom practitioner - someone with a positive approach who will have the highest expectations of what students can achieve. In return you will have the opportunity to work in an innovative and highly supportive Academy.
As a result of being heavily oversubscribed in Years 7 and 8, we are embarking on the next wave of recruitment for the highest calibre of staff who can help us to grow our school community.
The English Department
The Greenwood Academy English Department believes in a knowledge rich curriculum in which, our students are exposed to the greatest literature texts possible. Our KS3 curriculum includes the study of Dickens, Shakespeare, Owen and Sassoon, and ensures all our students know the most sophisticated vocabulary and concepts possible and are prepared for the rigours of KS4. We do not believe in group work, discovery based learning or onerous differentiation tasks. We believe in didactic teaching and drill teach: quotations, terminology and definitions, so that our students can recite them by rote.
What we offer
- A regular and bespoke induction/CPD programme
- No grading of lesson observations
- A knowledge-based curriculum in which teachers are encouraged to teach without constraint
- Work-life-balance – slimmed-down marking, a centralised homework policy, no parents evenings and minimal reporting and data entry
- Tight behaviour systems including SLT lead centralised detentions to allow you to focus solely on teaching
- World class facilities and technology in the form of Google Classroom and a Chromebook for every teacher
- Private health care through AET
- Substantial TLRs for the right candidate
As the sponsor, AET believes that all young people deserve to become world-class learners – to learn, enjoy, succeed and thrive in a first rate educational environment with the best facilities, the best teaching and the most up-to-date resources available to them. In each of our academies, you will benefit from visionary, inspirational and dynamic leadership and be empowered to develop your own skills with access to world-class CPD and Talent Management programmes. You will also be entitled to the following benefits: pension, a health cash plan and childcare vouchers.