1. Explain concept of Coat of Arms to students
2. Share your own Coat of Arms to students
3. Have students draw, or give xerox of attached Coat of Arms.
4. Pass out crayons, felt pens, colored pencils-art not the object.
5. choices for squares:
Symbol from your country
family background/ ancestry
spare time activities ( hobbies, sports, etc.)
6. Students draw in class. Should not take more than 5 min drawing not important.
7.Depending on level - could have students write short summary of what each square means (or this could be follow-up writing assignment)
8. Students get into small groups, share any squares they feel comfortable sharing.
9.If time, could have one student summarize most important information they learned about each group member.
Note. Drawing in an excellent way to begin a writing activity, or a conversation activity. It frees-up creative side of the brain.