music, listening comprehension, discussion, speaking practice
1. Show the students two photos. One of a “whole” heart and one of a “broken heart”. Ask the students about the difference.
2. Let the students listen to the song once. Ask them how the song makes them feel. Happy? Sad?
3. Hand out the paper, play the song again and get the students to complete the exercises.
4. Go through each exercise and make sure the students have the correct answer.
5. Go through the following questions:
a. What’s the story behind the song?
b. What’s the relationship between the singer and the person he is singing about?
c. Why might the singer want to “walk out the door”?
d. How do people feel when they are heartbroken?
e. What could we do to make them feel better?
f. Have you ever been heartbroken? What did you do to get over it?
g. Have you ever helped a friend to get over a broken heart? What did you do? Were you successful?
What can we learn from a broken heart?