ESL / EFL teacher
6-10 years , 11-14 years , 15-18 years
1-5 , 6-10
Middle school (junior high school) , High school (secondary school)
We are currently inviting applications for the following courses:
- English & Adventure (30th June 7th July)
- General English (7th July 19th August)
- IELTS preparation & official examination - in partnership with Melton College York (7th 20th
- 22 hours of English teaching per week (General English & IELTS preparation)
- 15 hours of English teaching in week 1 (English and Adventure)
- Maximum 15 students per class, with a mixture of nationalities
- One full-day city excursion each week
- One full day off per week
EAL Teachers report directly to the Director of Studies (DOS) and will -
- Become familiar with the Sedbergh ISS curriculum, materials and resources during induction
- Teach lessons using the Sedbergh ISS curriculum, materials and resources and any other
appropriate materials they provide or create.
- Promote a student-centred learning environment, which encourages the development of 21st
- Attend to the individual needs of the students to ensure that maximum benefit is gained from
- Continuously assess students progress, providing useful and relevant feedback.
- Maintain administrative systems by preparing and keeping class lists, records of work, class
registers and preparing detailed individual reports.
- Manage the classroom behaviour effectively and ensure all students participate.
- Attend meetings as requested by the summer school management.
- Attend any CPD (Continued Professional Development) workshops.
- Be observed by the Academic Management.
- Support the House Parents by supervising students in the college accommodation and complete
overnight pastoral duties where required.
- Help ensure that the students do not breach the rules of the school or the laws of the country.
- Assist at any time, whether on duty or not, with an emergency, or where a student is ill or
- Have an awareness of their responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the students
during meals, break times, and when in the accommodation areas.
- Assist DOS/ADOS with student placement testing.
- Attend, and at times lead, weekly excursions to UK cities.
- Lead, supervise or assist with occasional sports and activities.
- Engage with the students outside of class in a friendly yet professional manner.
Sedbergh ISS is currently in the application process for British Council accreditation, as we want to show our ongoing dedication to the highest standards of summer school provision. EAL Teachers may therefore be observed by the inspection team and will need to uphold the standards which Sedbergh ISS lay out during the application, interview and induction process. Our senior management team are committed to supporting its staff through the first inspection. Lesson plans, teaching support and feedback are all provided from its experienced, Delta-qualified ADOS and DOS.
30th June - 19th August 2019
The above dates refer to the summer course and do not include induction and training. Please be aware that you will need to be available 2 days before you are due to commence work.
Min. 2 years
Bachelor degree (BA) in a relevant subject + Any accredited 100+ hour English teaching certif.