ISLCollective Copyright License brief summary
By default the iSLCollective Copyright License will be assigned to the file (worksheet/powerpoint) you upload, and the video quiz you publish.
The full list of freedoms and restrictions included in this license regarding the worksheets you upload with the iSLCollective Copyright are as follows:
The iSLCollective Copyright License allows others to:
-use the work for private or classroom purposes only
-photocopy your work
-keep the downloaded file (the 'Work') on their PC or other private storage devices
-share the Work with a colleague in email, or share with them a photocopy of
the Work (but only if they give credit to the author and pass the Work along with this iSLCollective Copyright License - this obligation is called "Share Alike" obligation, so that the license cannot be
ignored by anyone in the future)
-adapt the Work to their group in case of classroom use, ie. in order to
correct typos, include new exercises, change the original wording, or exclude any existing parts of the Work
-link on blogs or websites to the original file hosted on iSLCollective
The iSLCollective Copyright License forbids others to
-reupload (reshare) the Work on public file sharing platforms on the internet (e.g. slideshare.net)
-distribute (publish) the Work in a printed format, such as a book or
any worksheet collection for the public to see
-sell the Work
-share the Work with a colleague in email or in photocopied format,
without giving credit to the author or providing the license of the Work.
The full list of freedoms and restrictions included in this license regarding video quizzes you publish with the iSLCollective Copyright are as follows:
The iSLCollective Copyright License allows others to:
-play your video quiz for students in class
-assign it as homework
-copy your video quiz and edit the copy to tailor it to their own needs before using with students (all copied-edited video quizzes are kept private, republishing is not made possible by the iSLCollective system)
-embed your video quiz on other websites – while giving you credit as the author.
The iSLCollective Copyright brief summary is not a license, but only a human-readable (simplified) version of the full legal code. The above summary itself has no legal value, and its contents do not appear in the actual license. You can read the full legal text at the end of this page.
iSLCollective Ltd. is not a law firm and does not provide legal services. Distributing of, displaying of, or linking to this Your Copyright page does not create an attorney-client relationship.
If you do not wish to share your work with the iSLCollective Copyright License, you can select a Creative Commons copyright license for your upload.
Creative Commons: A Shared Culture
"So we wanted to create a simple way for creators to say to the world, 'Here's the freedom that I want to run with my creative work. Here's the things that are allowed to do.' Can I reproduce it? Can I copy it? Can I put it in my textbook? Can I use that photograph? Can I make a new version of it?
Creative Commons gives tools to creators to make a choice about copyright. Every license says 'You need to give me atribution. I created this, give me credit for the work I did.' The basic choices are: Commercial use or not? Can you make derivate works, versions, adaptations, or not? And do you want me to have to share alike? So if I take your stuff, do I have to offer it to the next person under the same terms?"
[Extract from the Creative Commons promo video]
Creative Commons Licenses
Creative Commons licenses help you publish your work online while letting others know exactly what they can and can't do with your work.
With a Creative Commons license, you keep your copyright but allow people to copy and distribute your work provided they give you credit - and only on the conditions you specify here. Basically, Creative Commons licenses enable you to change your copyright terms from "All Rights Reserved" to "Some Rights Reserved."
The following describes each of the six main licenses offered when you publish your work with a Creative Commons license. They have been listed starting with the most accommodating license type you can choose and ending with the most restrictive license type you can choose.
Creators can choose a set of conditions they wish to apply to their work.
You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work - and derivative works based upon it - but only if they give credit the way you request.
You allow others to distribute derivative works only under a license identical to the license that governs your work.
You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work - and derivative works based upon it - but for noncommercial purposes only.
No Derivative Works
You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform only verbatim copies of your work, not derivative works based upon it.
This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered, in terms of what others can do with your works licensed under Attribution.
Attribution Share Alike
This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work even for commercial reasons, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms. This license is often compared to open source software licenses. All new works based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also allow commercial use.
Attribution No Derivatives
This license allows for redistribution, commercial and non-commercial, as long as it is passed along unchanged and in whole, with credit to you.
This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial, they don't have to license their derivative works on the same terms.
Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms. Others can download and redistribute your work just like the by-nc-nd license, but they can also translate, make remixes, and produce new stories based on your work. All new work based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also be non-commercial in nature.
Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives
This license is the most restrictive of our six main licenses, allowing redistribution. This license is often called the "free advertising" license because it allows others to download your works and share them with others as long as they mention you and link back to you, but they can't change them in any way or use them commercially.
Creative Commons is a nonprofit corporation dedicated to making it easier for people to share and build upon the work of others, consistent with the rules of copyright. Find more information at:
ISLCOLLECTIVE.COM PUBLIC COPYRIGHT LICENSE
ISLCOLLECTIVE.COM IS NOT A LAW FIRM AND DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL SERVICES. DISTRIBUTION OF THIS LICENSE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. ISLCOLLECTIVE.COM PROVIDES THIS INFORMATION ON AN "AS-IS" BASIS. ISLCOLLECTIVE.COM MAKES NO WARRANTIES REGARDING THE INFORMATION PROVIDED, AND DISCLAIMS LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ITS USE.
THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS ISLCOLLECTIVE.COM PUBLIC LICENSE ("IPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED.
BY EXERCISING ANY RIGHTS TO THE WORK PROVIDED HERE, YOU ACCEPT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. TO THE EXTENT THIS LICENSE MAY BE CONSIDERED TO BE A CONTRACT, THE LICENSOR GRANTS YOU THE RIGHTS CONTAINED HERE IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- "Adaptation" means a work based upon the Work, or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, adaptation, derivative work, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted including in any form recognizably derived from the original.
- "Distribute" means to make available to others the original and copies of the Work or Adaptation.
- “Electronically store” means storing the Work or any Adaptations on a personal computer, USB flashddrive or other electrical equipment capable of storing digital content.
- "License Elements" means the following high-level license attributes as listed in this License: Attribution, Noncommercial, ShareAlike.
- "Licensor" means the individual, individuals, entity or entities that offer(s) the Work under the terms of this License.
- "Original Author" means, in the case of a literary or artistic work, the individual, individuals, entity or entities who created the Work or if no individual or entity can be identified, the publisher.
- "Work" means the literary and/or artistic work offered under the terms of this License including without limitation any production in the literary, scientific and artistic domain, whatever may be the mode or form of its expression including digital form, such as a book.
- "You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this License who has not previously violated the terms of this License with respect to the Work, or who has received express permission from the Licensor to exercise rights under this License despite a previous violation.
- "Reproduce" means to make copies of the Work by any means including without limitation by sound or visual recordings and the right of fixation and reproducing fixations of the Work.
- "Worksheet” means a Microsoft .doc(x) format file hosted on iSLCollective Worksheet pages, e.g. islcollective.com/english-esl-worksheets.
- "Powerpoint” means a Microsoft .ppt(x) format file hosted on iSLCollective Powerpoint pages, e.g. islcollective.com/english-esl-powerpoints.
- "Video quiz” means a an interactive video quiz created and hosted on iSLCollective video quiz pages, e.g. islcollective.com/english-esl-videoquizzes.
- Fair Dealing Rights. Nothing in this License is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any uses free from copyright or rights arising from limitations or exceptions that are provided for in connection with the copyright protection under copyright law or other applicable laws.
III. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Worksheet/Powerpoint as stated below:
- to Electronically store or Reproduce the Work for personal use or classroom use;
- to Create and Reproduce Adaptations for personal use or classroom use, including but not limited to any correction of typos, inclusion of new exercises, changes to the original wording, or exclusion of any existing parts of the Work.
- to Distribute the Work or any Adaptations in printed format or through electronic mailing or file delivery services.
- to Display on any online (internet) platform the Uniform Resource Locator (URL or hyperlink) and of the Work hosted on iSLCollective.com, along with the preview of the first page of the Work, as displayed on iSLCollective.com.
Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the video quiz as stated below:
- play your video quiz for students in class
- assign it as homework
- copy your video quiz and edit the copy to tailor it to their own needs before using with students (all copied-edited video quizzes are kept private, republishing is not made possible by the iSLCollective system)
- embed your video quiz on other websites – while giving you credit as the author.
The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter devised. The above rights include the right to make such modifications as are technically necessary to exercise the rights in other media and formats. Subject to Section 8(f), all rights not expressly granted by Licensor are hereby reserved, including but not limited to the rights described in Section 4(g).
- Restrictions. The license granted in Section 3 above is expressly made subject to and limited by the following restrictions:
- You may Distribute the Work only under the terms of this License. You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) for, this License with every copy of the Work You Distribute. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that restrict the terms of this License or the ability of the recipient of the Work to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the License. You may not sublicense the Work. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties with every copy of the Work You Distribute. When You Distribute the Work, You may not impose any effective technological measures on the Work that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the License.
- You may Distribute an Adaptation only under: (i) the terms of this License; (ii) a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike). You must include a copy of, or the URI, for Applicable License with every copy of each Adaptation You Distribute. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Adaptation that restrict the terms of the Applicable License or the ability of the recipient of the Adaptation to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the Applicable License. You must keep intact all notices that refer to the Applicable License and to the disclaimer of warranties with every copy of the Work as included in the Adaptation You Distribute. When You Distribute the Adaptation, You may not impose any effective technological measures on the Adaptation that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Adaptation from You to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the Applicable License.
- You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation. The exchange of the Work for other copyrighted works by means of digital file-exchange or otherwise shall not be considered to be intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation, provided there is no payment of any monetary compensation in connection with the exchange of copyrighted works.
- If You Distribute the Work or any Adaptations, You must, unless a request has been made pursuant to Section 4(a), keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or if the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g., a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution ("Attribution Parties") in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; (ii) the title of the Work if supplied; (iii) to the extent reasonably practicable, the URI, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the Work; and, (iv) consistent with Section 3(b), in the case of an Adaptation, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Adaptation (e.g., "French translation of the Worksheet by Original Author," or "Picture dictionary based on original Work by Original Author"). The credit required by this Section 4(d) may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Adaptation, at a minimum such credit will appear, if a credit for all contributing authors of the Adaptation appears, then as part of these credits and in a manner at least as prominent as the credits for the other contributing authors. For the avoidance of doubt, You may only use the credit required by this Section for the purpose of attribution in the manner set out above and, by exercising Your rights under this License, You may not implicitly or explicitly assert or imply any connection with, sponsorship or endorsement by the Original Author, Licensor and/or Attribution Parties, as appropriate, of You or Your use of the Work, without the separate, express prior written permission of the Original Author, Licensor and/or Attribution Parties.
- You may Distribute the Work or any Adaptations only under the terms in Section 3. You may not make the Work or any Adaptations publicly available on public online platforms on the world wide web, including but not limited to any file-sharing platforms or networks on the world wide web, such as iSLCollective.com.
- You may not Distribute the Work or any Adaptations in printed format as part of a Collection.
For the avoidance of doubt:
- Non-waivable Compulsory License Schemes. In those jurisdictions in which the right to collect royalties through any statutory or compulsory licensing scheme cannot be waived, the Licensor reserves the exclusive right to collect such royalties for any exercise by You of the rights granted under this License;
- Waivable Compulsory License Schemes. In those jurisdictions in which the right to collect royalties through any statutory or compulsory licensing scheme can be waived, the Licensor reserves the exclusive right to collect such royalties for any exercise by You of the rights granted under this License if Your exercise of such rights is for a purpose or use which is otherwise than noncommercial as permitted under Section 4(c) and otherwise waives the right to collect royalties through any statutory or compulsory licensing scheme; and,
- Voluntary License Schemes. The Licensor reserves the right to collect royalties, whether individually or, in the event that the Licensor is a member of a collecting society that administers voluntary licensing schemes, via that society, from any exercise by You of the rights granted under this License that is for a purpose or use which is otherwise than noncommercial as permitted under Section 4(c).
- Except as otherwise agreed in writing by the Licensor or as may be otherwise permitted by applicable law, if You Reproduce, Distribute the Work either by itself or as part of any Adaptations, You must not distort, mutilate, modify or take other derogatory action in relation to the Work which would be prejudicial to the Original Author's honor or reputation. Licensor agrees that in those jurisdictions (e.g. Japan), in which any exercise of the right granted in Section 3(b) of this License (the right to make Adaptations) would be deemed to be a distortion, mutilation, modification or other derogatory action prejudicial to the Original Author's honor and reputation, the Licensor will waive or not assert, as appropriate, this Section, to the fullest extent permitted by the applicable national law, to enable You to reasonably exercise Your right under Section 3(b) of this License (right to make Adaptations) but not otherwise.
Representations, Warranties and Disclaimer
UNLESS OTHERWISE MUTUALLY AGREED TO BY THE PARTIES IN WRITING AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, LICENSOR OFFERS THE WORK AS-IS AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE WORK, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE ABSENCE OF LATENT OR OTHER DEFECTS, ACCURACY, OR THE PRESENCE OF ABSENCE OF ERRORS, WHETHER OR NOT DISCOVERABLE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THIS EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Limitation on Liability. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
- This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License. Individuals or entities who have received Adaptations from You under this License, however, will not have their licenses terminated provided such individuals or entities remain in full compliance with those licenses. Sections 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 will survive any termination of this License.
- Subject to the above terms and conditions, the license granted here is perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright in the Work). Notwithstanding the above, Licensor reserves the right to release the Work under different license terms or to stop distributing the Work at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw this License (or any other license that has been, or is required to be, granted under the terms of this License), and this License will continue in full force and effect unless terminated as stated above.
- Each time You Distribute the Work, the Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- Each time You Distribute an Adaptation, Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the original Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of the terms of this License, and without further action by the parties to this agreement, such provision shall be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such provision valid and enforceable.
- No term or provision of this License shall be deemed waived and no breach consented to unless such waiver or consent shall be in writing and signed by the party to be charged with such waiver or consent.
- This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor shall not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual written agreement of the Licensor and You.
- The rights granted under, and the subject matter referenced, in this License were drafted utilizing the terminology of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (as amended on September 28, 1979), the Rome Convention of 1961, the WIPO Copyright Treaty of 1996, the WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty of 1996 and the Universal Copyright Convention (as revised on July 24, 1971). These rights and subject matter take effect in the relevant jurisdiction in which the License terms are sought to be enforced according to the corresponding provisions of the implementation of those treaty provisions in the applicable national law. If the standard suite of rights granted under applicable copyright law includes additional rights not granted under this License, such additional rights are deemed to be included in the License; this License is not intended to restrict the license of any rights under applicable law.
iSLCollective.com is not a party to this License, and makes no warranty whatsoever in connection with the Work. iSLCollective.com will not be liable to You or any party on any legal theory for any damages whatsoever, including without limitation any general, special, incidental or consequential damages arising in connection to this license. Notwithstanding the foregoing two (2) sentences, if iSLCollective.com has expressly identified itself as the Licensor hereunder, it shall have all rights and obligations of Licensor.
Except for the limited purpose of indicating to the public that the Work is licensed under the iSLCollective.com License, iSLCollective.com does not authorize the use by either party of the trademark " iSLCollective.com" or any related trademark or logo of iSLCollective.com without the prior written consent of iSLCollective.com. Any permitted use will be in compliance with iSLCollective.com’s then-current trademark usage guidelines, as may be published on its website or otherwise made available upon request from time to time. For the avoidance of doubt, this trademark restriction does not form part of this License.
iSLCollective.com may be contacted at https://islcollective.com/.