Video quiz details
Listening comprehension of a technical description of the process of sword-making.
A metal-worker demonstrates to a journalist an ancient sword-making technique in its connection with the Arthurian legend.
2 minutes 39 seconds
Other pedagogical goals
The above lesson is a great teaching resource for:Intermediate (B1)
This resource is intended for:High schoolers, Adults
Quality not yet verified by the community.
This resource does not contain any images, words or ideas that would upset a reasonable person in any culture.
1. What do you know about the blacksmith's craft? Have you ever been to a blacksmith's workshop?
2. What do you know about swords? Who is your favourite hero with a sword?
3. Study the vocabulary list. Which words are familiar to you?
1. Do you thnk that Arthur's sword looked like the sword from the video?
2. Can you explain the technique of the sword-making that you have seen?
1. Why was Arthur able to draw the sword out of the stone?
2. Why does the journalist come to the metal worker who follows ancient sword-making techniques?
3. Do you think the journalist is right in her guess? If not, what, in your opinion, is the origin of the legend?
to gleam means to reflect light because of being well-polished. Рус. мерцать. светиться
to glitter means to shine with a bright shimmering ligt. Рус. - сверкать
to be thrust - a sword thrust in stone
to be thrust means here to be pushed or inserted violently into stone
fierce = violent, agressive, warlords =military commander
with no success or result
blade (of the sword)
a flat cutting edge of a weapon - рус. клинок
Celtic population of southern Britain before or during Roman Times
a practical part of metallurgy - ways of sword-making
to cast light on (something)
to give an explanation
to cast a sword
to make a sword by pouring hot metal into a mould. Рус. отливать.
a hard, black substance similar to coal that can be used as fuel or, in the form of sticks, as something to draw with (Cambridge Dic). Рус. древесный уголь
a container that is heated to a very high temperature, so that substances that are put inside it, such as metal, will melt or burn (Cambridge).Рус. горн. печь.
a container in which metals or other substances can be heated to very high temperatures (Cambridge). Рус. тигель.
a silvery-white metal, the chemical element of atomic number 50 (Oxford). Рус. олово
a red-brown metal, the chemical element of atomic number 29 (Oxford). Рус. медь
the point or place where something begins (Oxford)
Molten metal or rock is in a liquid state because of great heat (Cambridge)