KIERAN DONAGHY ABOUT ISLCOLLECTIVE VIDEO QUIZZES:
"iSLCollective Interactive Video Quizzes are highly engaging and motivating multimodal texts for English language students to learn vocabulary and improve their listening skills. They are the perfect complement to the creative and innovative lesson plans on Film English."
Creator of FilmEnglish.com, a site with hundreds of high quality, free ESL/EFL lesson plans created around short films
1) The robbers ...
2) Which fruit did you see on sale at the greengrocer's? (MARK ALL RIGHT ANSWERS)
3) What does the shopkeeper keep on the shelves behind him?
4) What product does the shopkeeper keep next to the cash register?
5) What does the robber lying on the floor wear to disguise himself (=hide his identity)?
6) How many police cars did we see arrive?
7) What did he snatch (=take) from the shop?
8) What are the two other shops left and right of the grocery store?
1. Let students brainstorm various types of crimes.
2. Tell students that they're gonna see dumb criminals in action. Let them guess which crime they will see in the short film.
3. Watch the video in whole (without the quiz - select the first play mode).
1. Have students work in pairs and collect, then write down all the stupid things that the robbers did during the heist (=robbery).
2. DISCUSSION: Let the class discuss the discussion questions in pairs. After the pairwork, get some of the students share with the whole class.
3. WRITING or ROLE PLAY: Have the swat team leader explain to his superior(s) (=bosses) why they failed to capture the other robber. It can either be a role play or a writing task.
4. VOCABULARY BOOSTING: You can have students fill in the blanks in this worksheet: https://en.islcollective.com/resources/printables/worksheets_doc_docx/grocery_store_robbery_-_fill_in_the_blanks/crime-law-and/100353 It's a newsflash about a grocery store robbery.
5. WRITING: Use the worksheet above or the raw story (article + video: http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/252439818-story ) to provide an example of a newsflash about a robbery. Then get students to write a similar newsflash about the robbery seen in the short film. Encourage them to borrow as many phrases from the newsflash as they wish.
6. DO ANOTHER VIDEO QUIZ: should have + V3 practice: https://en.islcollective.com/video-lessons/deuspi-dumb-robbers-should-have-v3-practice
7. DO ANOTHER VIDEO QUIZ: Conditional 3 practice: https://en.islcollective.com/video-lessons/deuspi-two-dumb-robbers-conditional-3-practice
1. Do you know any stories about dumb criminals?
2. How safe is your surroundings (in the vicinity of your school, your neighborhood at home)?
3. What kind of crimes have been committed in your town / city recently?
4. How strong is the police presence where you live?
5. Are you satisfied with the work and attitude of the police?
Please login or register to write comments!