Build students' confidence by exposing them to easy-to-read, entertaining, and real news stories.
1. Update or find some new news stories and reduce them into very easy to read versions
2. Make sure you have some good resources that students can use to translate the materials
a. Dictionaries, iPads, etc.
1. Make groups, usually no bigger than four people
2. Let students choose which story they want to translate. They will usually choose based on the picture or how 'hard' the English looks
3. Also distribute the resources for students to translate
4. Explain that students will try to translate the news stories into Japanese and then share both the English and Japanese with the class once they're finished.
5. Let students work
6. Sometimes, I, the teacher, read the English, other times I let students read the English.
This activity works best for students who are a little more self-motivated. Giving this to your quiet, uninterested class might not be the best idea.